Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,425   Online: 905

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi clive

fine art, straight photography, portfolio pieces to get into a school to show to friends, or to a perspective client / gallery ...
    its all the same in my eyes ... besides, id be worried a loose print would be damaged by being handled, besides looking pretty, the packaging protects ...
    John, I agree, but I'm just saying that all the package is not the product. A damaged print can still be read as an image that has been damaged if you get my drift.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In college, the head of the Photography Department invited me to sit in on portfolio reviews for Master's Degree applicants. In addition to the Dept. Head, there were 2 other photo profs, and a few from other disciplines ( I remember them being from painting, graphic design, and sculpture, though there may have been more). I learned that presentation mattered, regardless of the quality of the work. I didn't speak, at the review, but did ask a few of them questions afterwards. The consensus was, a poorly presented portfolio showed a lack of respect for both the work, and the viewers.
    "You never get a second chance to make a first impression..."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    In college, the head of the Photography Department invited me to sit in on portfolio reviews for Master's Degree applicants. In addition to the Dept. Head, there were 2 other photo profs, and a few from other disciplines ( I remember them being from painting, graphic design, and sculpture, though there may have been more). I learned that presentation mattered, regardless of the quality of the work. I didn't speak, at the review, but did ask a few of them questions afterwards. The consensus was, a poorly presented portfolio showed a lack of respect for both the work, and the viewers.
    "You never get a second chance to make a first impression..."
    Presentation does matter, I'm just saying for some it is not the prime consideration.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Presentation does matter, I'm just saying for some it is not the prime consideration.
    If you're competing for commercial work, gallery representation, or school acceptance, why damage your chances by not presenting your work in the best way possible?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    If you're competing for commercial work, gallery representation, or school acceptance, why damage your chances by not presenting your work in the best way possible?
    I agree that you are correct. All I’m saying is if someone like Andre kertesz presented me with a set of curly water damaged prints in a brown paper bag, I would probably select those as opposed to a series by Joe blogs showing 20” X 16” mounted full colour views in a hand crafted leather portfolio of sunsets over Birmingham.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that you are correct. All I’m saying is if someone like Andre kertesz presented me with a set of curly water damaged prints in a brown paper bag, I would probably select those as opposed to a series by Joe blogs ...
    If he ever gave me water damaged prints, I'd probably have framed them, and hung them in my living room.
    I think you're getting a bit off the original question, though. I believe John was asking about portfolios presented by a bunch of "Joe blogs". A situation where one is vying for a job, or school acceptance, against a number of unknowns. Attention to detail goes a long way in helping a potential employer, gallery, or school gauge commitment. While I understand the expression, "the work speaks for itself", how it's presented speaks a great deal about the creator's pride in the work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree that you are correct. All I’m saying is if someone like Andre kertesz presented me with a set of curly water damaged prints in a brown paper bag, I would probably select those as opposed to a series by Joe blogs showing 20” X 16” mounted full colour views in a hand crafted leather portfolio of sunsets over Birmingham.

clive

in your example it is 2 extremely different types of work, one by a known quantity and the other of mundane boring sunsets ..
    if both kertsez and joe presented the same caliber work ( and kertsez was an unknown ) and one presented wrecked images in a bag
    and the other drymounted on 2ply .. you'd pick the damaged prints ?

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if both kertsez and joe presented the same caliber work ( and kertsez was an unknown ) and one presented wrecked images in a bag
    and the other drymounted on 2ply .. you'd pick the damaged prints ?

john
    That would make a great experiment. It would be interesting to see what would happen if sloppy portfolios (by famous photographers) were submitted, unacknowledged, for review. It's probably been done...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the recent SPE conference, i noticed most portfolios are now digital. Its a damn shame but its the truth. Typically 20 images. Ipads have made digital portfolios too convenient. For my school's recent Scholarship and awards we were required to submit about 12 digital images. Its a shame because i am mostly analog. I still got a top reward but i question if the digital images were as effective as the analog ones. I think not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ooo i should mention coffee table books are really hot now too. Just as effective as a portfolio.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin