Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,519   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps the thinnest rigid mount would be dibond, but would it be rigid enough at that size? Maybe not. Toughened plate-glass would be rigid but heavy (and expensive). And I definitely agree - masonite (hardboard) will be neither rigid nor archival. Then again, marketing materials and decorations tend not to have a long service-life anyway, so lasting more than a season or a year might be overkill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CRC or Duggal.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A friend of mine forwarded me some pictures of Laumont mounting he saw in a gallery and really liked. It was sintra outer layer on masonite backing, no frames, but with a brace. I emailed them and the project manager emailed me back. I'm waiting to hear if it can be hung somehow with no brace.

Now that I know what I want I emailed both Modernage and Griffin and will go visit them on Monday. I was encouraged to see that Griffin has a Brooklyn location not far from where I live and work, thanks so much for that info. Biking to midtown is really aggravating.

Thanks again,

Serge.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    CRC or Duggal.
    I talked to Duggal. Costs more than the higher end work. Don't know about CRC but at least from the website doesn't look like something I'm trying to get. Looks like chromogenic paper up to 48 inches.

Griffin can actually do an enlargement from a negative at this size (60x54). And reply to emails at 10 PM. I don't even know if it's a good idea because of dust and scratches that drum scanning gets rid of. Unless you are like me and like dust and scratches.
    Last edited by dvornik; 06-12-2014 at 01:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CRC is capable of just about anything you might need, give them a call, they're very easy to work with. Duggal can be pricey but they are the best of the best, and have a team that will take an attitude of "tell us what you want, and we'll do it. if we can't, it's not possible".

I've never used Laumont, nor has anybody I know, but I have heard a lot of good things about them...I would say between the three shops you would be hard pressed to do any less than excellent with whomever you choose.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Chris.

Essentially at this point I'm looking for a silver halide fiber print of that size (or at least 48), and very few labs can do it. I actually got the impression that silver halide RC is even more difficult to get for some reason.

Serge.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Lamount, Griffith Images and Duggal can do large silver prints from digital files, as Chris says all will do excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by dvornik View Post
    Thanks Chris.

Essentially at this point I'm looking for a silver halide fiber print of that size (or at least 48), and very few labs can do it. I actually got the impression that silver halide RC is even more difficult to get for some reason.

Serge.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hmm... You're right, Duggal can do it too. I wonder why they didn't mention it when I stopped by. They didn't mention it to a friend of mine either when she visited them with the same question. I didn't know I can print silver halide fiber that large until I went to Laumont.

Griffin is the only one that can do 54 silver fiber both enlarging directly from a negative and on a lightjet printer - I wonder why. Everyone else says the Ilford rolls are only up to 50. Heh. Brooklyn rules...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    BTW, if you've a chance drop by the Sugimoto show at Pace gallery (25th st) in Chelsea. Big fiber silver prints mounted on dibond with no face. Easily twice the dimensions your talking, which really aren't all that big, and I believe optically printed. But it's Sugimoto after all, so you can imagine how perfect they are.
    I will try to stop by on Monday. There are frames around them to protect them though, but i guess they are not concerned with paper expanding. I've seen something with a tiny thin offset frame that sort of just protected the edges without overlapping them...

So far my best idea for an unframed print mounted flush to the wall (suggested by Laumont) would be a board like masonite or MDF with a wedged slot cut out for a cleat. Then the next layer would be either dibond or sintra so it has a better surface and is more archival. I am kind of concerned about the edges though. Personally i would want to have some frame around it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dvornik View Post
    I will try to stop by on Monday. There are frames around them to protect them though, but i guess they are not concerned with paper expanding. I've seen something with a tiny thin offset frame that sort of just protected the edges without overlapping them...

So far my best idea for an unframed print mounted flush to the wall (suggested by Laumont) would be a board like masonite or MDF with a wedged slot cut out for a cleat. Then the next layer would be either dibond or sintra so it has a better surface and is more archival. I am kind of concerned about the edges though. Personally i would want to have some frame around it...
    There are frames at that show for protection, yes, b/c the prints are I'd guess like quarter of a million dollars, if not more. But you'll see that the mounting and bracing with no frame would be easily achieved, since they're big prints mounted on dibond then braced in a floating "box" type frame.

Duggal imo is overpriced for what you get, as in they're a very commercial shop. I personally prefer smaller labs where you can work intimately with printers who are creative. As a disclaimer, I've worked with Laumont, and was pleased (though they weren't the best to communicate with) and I've never worked with Griffith, but I've talked with one of their printers and was impressed by his passion for both shooting and printing.

There's also a lab in Red Hook that a some of the youngish famous guys are using...I'm forgetting the name of the lab...a small shop that's super creative, but I believe they're more color focused.

RE optical: don't be worried about scratches or dust on a negative. They'll be able to solve that for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin