Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,501   Online: 1122

Thread: Museum Board?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images

Museum Board?

Hi, I am looking for an alternative to Light Impressions Westminster Rag board. I like the Westminster bright white product, but it is too expensive. I want to buy pre-cut 16x20 4 ply sheets. Are other "Museum Board"/rag board basically the same? I'm looking for the same color as Westminster, or even a little more bright. Does anyone use Rising Museum Board? I saw it for a somewhat cheaper price.

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Daniel Smith might have what you need.

http://www.danielsmith.com/cgi-bin/s...&UREQA=1&GENP=

Shooter
    35mm

Calumet

I have used the Calumet 100 rag board in 4 ply in both the buffered and unbuffered versions. I was unable to find a source selling this quality board as ecomonically. I know nothing about the Rising products.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I have used the Calumet 100 rag board in 4 ply in both the buffered and unbuffered versions. I was unable to find a source selling this quality board as ecomonically. I know nothing about the Rising products.
    Rising must be good. Daniel Smith is from Seattle. That would be my town
    Seriously, I don't know them either but I'll likely run over to their storefront this weekend and pick up a couple of sheet.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Thanks, I have requested samples of the Rising board from Daniel Smith.

Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Rising Boards.

I use the white and antique... If I recall correctly the white is very similar to the Light Impressions board. The board has a nice weight and density to it. I've used some boards that are a bit softer and haven't liked them at all compared to the Rising. Rising has become my standard now. (I order them from Woolfitts Art Supply in Toronto)

joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I also use Rising boards, in bright white. Very nice stuff, nice and clean, with little or no texture. I get my supply from Mono Lisa here in Calgary.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a good look at Bainbridge Alpharag Artcare board. Every test so far shows it far superior to anything on the market for protecting your images. If you go to http://www.michaelandpaula.com and check the articles you will find out more on it.
    The board has a microchamber trapping system that somehow actively protects the image from contaminants that come in from outside as well as outgassing from prints themselves.
    It cuts easily & is a beautiful board to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago, David Vestal recommended Light Impressions Exeter board as an economical alternative to either Westminster board. I've been using it ever since, and I love it. All I have ever used is their "gallery white" - sort of a creamish color - but they also have an "ivory" and "bright white".

And to reinforce a subtle point made by Michael - it does cut very cleanly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    Take a good look at Bainbridge Alpharag Artcare board.
    This is the same board I use for all my prints; it is quite nice.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin