Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,811   Online: 1060

Thread: Spot Toning

Shooter
    Medium Format

Spot Toning

Okay, I learned with a bottle of toner and a small brush... Kind of tired of that.... Unless, of course, it is the only/best way to get it done..

Any other products or methods?? Anyone ever use the different colored pens/marker type things??

Shooter
    35mm

Marshall colors

It has been over 40 years but I have worked with Marshall oils. Not too hard to do. I stopped doing it when someone here in Milwaukee who was unusally up on technology showed me an article about some new fangled film that produced all kinds of colors both as a positive or as a negative circ 1963 I believe. I called him a liar, and bet him $20 that he was full of diaherria in the making. Geez, he was right and Mrs Claire cut off my allowance for 4 months. Well, I am getting another shot at this bird. We have a $50 bet...4 months allowance once more. The dammned fool thinks that it is possible for a camera to set its own exposure HAH..sure and maybe some day a camera that can focus by itself or moe than 1 focal length for a lens.

Boy oh boy I cannot wait to collect my $50.00

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Colored film, auto exposure camera's???!!!! Next thing you'll tell me is that there are cameras that don't reguire film at all.... HAHA They just show perty little pictures on the back or something....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a set of Spotpens and I think they work very nicely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was hoping someone would have some good words concerning these pens.. I almost bought some at Calumet but refrained. I assume these work fine on fiber?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I only recently started printing on FB so I haven't tried the pens on it yet, but I think they are supposed to work fine. I've seen people say they had trouble with them on RC, but I never have.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use the Spottone Dyes. I find them easy to use and impossible to detect. On occasion even used them on areas 3mmX3mm. They come in sets of 3 with slightly different casts of Black You mix different amounts to match the black/greys of your paper. Once mixed you can let them dry in a pallet and just use water to use again. Just wet a fine pointed brush with a small amount of water and gather up some dried dye. You are better off going lighter and building up to a darker color. I mixed mine about a year ago and haven't touched the bottles since. For the Ilford MGIV fiber paper I use one drop of blue-black to nine drops of neutral black. The developer and toning will make each persons mileage vary.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Large Format
    SpotPens work very well on fiber paper. I'm using the set for cool-tone B&W prints & plan to get the warm-tone set. Very easy to use & dyes get absorbed into the paper without any residual marks.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin