Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,997   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E. Rose -- have a way out on the web page though. Can you at least have a link to a non-flash page as well as a flash page?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't mind flash as long as it's not over the top. For example: http://www.2advanced.com/flashindex.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I don't mind flash as long as it's not over the top. For example: http://www.2advanced.com/flashindex.htm
    Goodgrief... bet you a fiver that site won industry awards!

Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yup, that's what I like. Subtle, clean design.

(groan)
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flash is very good for things like menus and gallery building, but try building a whole site using it and you are in for a world of pain... I have very, very, rarely seen a flash site that works well - and that includes sites designed by professionals with years of experience and many thousands of beer tokens to spend. By all means use Flash to spice up the site, but I'd recommend you resist any temptation to build the whole thing using it. If you do a google on "flash picture gallery" or "flash menu template" or similar, I'm sure plenty of templates will pop up.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I visited it and left bewildered. What were they selling? They failed marketing 101, apparently.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My site is primarily designed/built in Flash, it has gotten a very positive response and I have had few if any problems with it. Flash is a fairly complicated program and I would not recommend it for the novice. It does take longer to load than other web sites because you are downloading the entire site all at once, but then again once it's loaded the entire site runs faster than non flash sites.
    www.kosoff.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Ya I know a lot of you don't like flash sites but I have decided to go down this path. The reasons are numerous and include:
    1. people can't rip off your pics
    2. better presentation abilities
    3. credibility (most major commercial photogs use flash sites, therefore buyers expect them)
    4. i love to drive myself nuts
    5. photographers don't buy other photographers prints so what they think doesn't matter LOL.

Creating your own markting materials (web site, cards, etc) presents a unique set of challenges and opportunities.

As a 1/4 person shop (I assume you need to leave at least 3/4's of yourself free for shooting, developing film, writing mags, galleries, etc) you need to be efficient and innovative.

I'd urge you to reconsider your list.

1) Why don't you want people to download your photos? Personally I would include your name, web site address and maybe even contact information or slogan as part of the design of each photo. You want people to download your pics,you want them to save them as desktops and you want them to send the pics to their friends. Make each photo that comes from your web site a digital marketing piece.
    On the other hand if someone wants to steal your photos for unpaid use there is nothing you can do to stop them... Your watermark will stop the casual user. Registering the copyright on your images will protect them in the event you ever actually catch someone using one of your images.

2. Yes, Flash has much better presentation abilities. This means squat if you don't have the skills to take advantage of it. It is easier to design a clean, professional looking web site in HTML. Especially if you are an inexperienced designer.

3. Credibility. Sorry buddy but this is bunk. People are buying your images. A professional presentation helps to support image sales (just like a good frame helps a good image) but the fact that it is made in flash over standard HTML will only impress the geeks

4. Don't drive yourself nuts. Be productive.

5. Don't make me spank you!

6. How much time are you willing to put into this? A good basic HTML site can be done quite quickly. There are online tools to check the links, check it for browser compliance, etc. Flash isn't that easy. Would you put a 100 hours into your flash site? More? www.carolynfrayn.com

7. Good marketing is simple marketing.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Ya I know a lot of you don't like flash sites but I have decided to go down this path. The reasons are numerous and include:
    1. people can't rip off your pics
    They can. They can steal the whole flash and take it apart. Better is to include a watermark in your graphics and a lawyer up your sleeves should someone really try to steal your intellectual property.

2. better presentation abilities
    And a limited audience. Many people can't see/view flash. The machine I'm typing this on is a 64-bit machine with the latest chip from AMD on a very new board running freeBSD. Flash does NOT run on it. Neither does Active-X or some of the other objects that people find their way to embed into web pages without call to content. The world is not Intel or AMD or Windows or even Linux. OK, Flash does run on my Solaris/SPARC boxes but its not really the issue. I see many clients that are even running Windows-XP and Mac OS-X that don't have Flash or Java running on their machines by intent.

3. credibility (most major commercial photogs use flash sites, therefore buyers expect them)
    The 1 million flies can't be wrong argument. Wrong is wrong and a million people on the streets with pitch forks and burning torches does not make it right.

4. i love to drive myself nuts
    So why do you suspect that other's want to be driven nuts too?

5. photographers don't buy other photographers prints so what they think doesn't matter LOL.
    There are hardly any photographers here. I'm surely not one--- although I well probably would not buy any of your work either.

If you are really intent on doing flash then you need to design your site to be able
    to split off according to
    - if people have flash or not (this you can detect)
    - perhaps give people the choice of flash and non-flash versions

There are loads of sites out there that have flash leaders to go into a plain jane site and don't bother detecting if the client has flash or not or offer any other options. These sites are like gateposts standing in the way saying "You don't have flash then go away, we don't want you". If this is the intent then fine but more often than not its a product of lack of knowledge and being led by a bunch of designers with even less knowledge.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    My site is primarily designed/built in Flash,
    www.kosoff.com
    Yea. Silly looking site. All I see is some jigsaw piece telling me to "Click here to download plugin". Hmmmmm...
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin