Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 753

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Web Site design - Flash

Ya I know a lot of you don't like flash sites but I have decided to go down this path. The reasons are numerous and include:
    1. people can't rip off your pics
    2. better presentation abilities
    3. credibility (most major commercial photogs use flash sites, therefore buyers expect them)
    4. i love to drive myself nuts
    5. photographers don't buy other photographers prints so what they think doesn't matter LOL.

So to circumvent the steep learning curve does anyone know of a template I could download that does a decent job. I have Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX. My biggest problem is that I am not a graphics person. I couldn't produce those jazzy graphics in Photoshop if my life depended on it.

Anyway your esteemed help would be appreciated.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK why again :-)

1 We don't like them

2 I want your image I do a screen capture

3 Credibility, not with us mate

4 Your nuts to think about going down that route

5 I'm a photographer, I've sold images to other photographers and collectors in the UK, Australia and the US, & also bought prints from a number of Internationally known photographers from mainly the UK, but also France, Mexico and Spain.

And yes I have used Flash files on my own site and they are brilliant but in moderation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well...I sort of agree with you Eric. I think you are marketing your future Flash enabled web site to the demographic that will actually buy/call you for work. I don't like Flash pages from photographers who just want flashy web pages. But you need to make it fancy like that to people who will actually give you muulah!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you really have that much difficulty in securing your future or present in photography, that you would put the time and effort into a format that most of the major search engines WILL NOT index in their search engines????

I don't understand why photographers feel the need to be so much different than the main stream that sells.

First and foremost, I am a manufacture, so the photographers not buying photorgraphers don't apply, secondly, I am a photographer that sells.

Why would you saddle yourself in technology, that most people find annoying?

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Eric, please, please, please don't use Flash. In my long experience with website design, I've rarely seen a website designed with Flash that was both useable and unobtrusive. Generally speaking, most Flash sites are just (forgive me for the pun) flashy, which just distracts from the overall message you're trying to convey. In short, Flash sites are tacky.

And, what Ian said.

Simple, clean design will win every time in my books. Focus on using CSS and standards compliant HTML - this is the new web standard, and you can do some phenomenal stuff with this combination. You'll find that your HTML will be very tight, and using CSS also gives you the ability to change the look of the site very easily.

Check out these sites for a clean, simple design:

http://www.polischuk.com
    http://www.doncameron.com
    http://www.f45.com

Good luck!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Do you really have that much difficulty in securing your future or present in photography, that you would put the time and effort into a format that most of the major search engines WILL NOT index in their search engines????
    Yep, I just checked my website, I have had ~40,000 hits since Jan 2004. Primarily through search engines.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    KISS applies.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Images
    For those of us too damn poor, or unwilling to pay for broadband flash totally sucks and as soon as I come across a site that has it and takes longer than 3 seconds to load I click away. Just my humble, flash pisses me off, opinion.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not looking to make it "flashy" just functional. I think most collectors that have the change to buy one of my prints also have the $$'s to pay for high-speed internet. I'm not interested in the WalMart crowd, they just aren't the demographic I'm going for.

It's strictly a marketing decision. Yes the sites that Ken mentioned are nice and clean, but for the most part boring and don't add to the sales process.

Yes I know I'm a heretic!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why ask Eric, it sounds like you have made your mind up on this particular situation?

I wish you the most luck in you choice.

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin