Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,017   Online: 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NER

Images

domain name sale?

What would you think if someone sent you a note asking to purchase your domain name? I received such a note today. It would make some sense to me if I shared and/or were using the name of some famous person, but I'm not. Is this some kind of scam I'm unaware of? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NER
    What would you think if someone sent you a note asking to purchase your domain name? I received such a note today. It would make some sense to me if I shared and/or were using the name of some famous person, but I'm not. Is this some kind of scam I'm unaware of? Thanks.
    I don't know what the scam is, but it seems fishy. I've received similar offers for mine, but when I've written back, I've gotten no answer. I suspect it's some automated message looking for a domain name with some commercial value that they're trying to score for cheap.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is it another photographer named Norman Riley (presuming they want to buy "normanrileyphotography.com")? If not, I would guess it's some sort of scam. If it is another Norman Riley, I'd ask how much he is willing to pay and consider how much it's worth to you.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really is pretty common for people to solicit to purchase doman names, we are the registar on over 100 domain names, for us and our customers, so on average get two or three emails a we, asking if we are interested in selling one or another one of the domains, it is just another form of prospecting.

I own a domain name of dodgeoutfitters.com and get around ten requests a week to see if I am interested in selling it.

Dave

NER

Images
    Hi Kerik. Long time no chat. Thanks for the quick response. It seems fishy to me too. I'll see if I get a reply from "person" sending the note: I wrote back asking why he wants it.

NER

Images
    David's idea occurred to me. But what are the odds of that? The name on the note was "Richard Hall." He (assuming it's not automated) didn't say that he's affiliated with any company or representing someone sharing the name "Norman Riley" who also happens to be a photographer looking to establish a website. It seems very strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NER
    David's idea occurred to me. But what are the odds of that? The name on the note was "Richard Hall." He (assuming it's not automated) didn't say that he's affiliated with any company or representing someone sharing the name "Norman Riley" who also happens to be a photographer looking to establish a website. It seems very strange to me.

We got one from him today too as did our associates at Fotoimpex in Germany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heebakutty View Post
    try doing a domain name appraisal using http://www.zippozap.com/ to know the true value of the domain name
    Zippozap appraisal of apug.org: $65.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The value of mine is $0.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So is there a website to calculate the value of a revived thread that's been dormant for 6 years?

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin