Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,533   Posts: 1,598,713   Online: 967

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exclusivity

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If this is a close enough friend, why not give them a print? That way your work will be on display, your friend will be happy, and they can direct people interested in your work to the gallery.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ask the gallery owner. All the advice we give you means nothing if the owner doesn't agree with us, and you are the one who will lose out if we are wrong.

In any case, I think Jorge's advice is on the money - don't hang your work in a coffee shop.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Ask the gallery owner. All the advice we give you means nothing if the owner doesn't agree with us, and you are the one who will lose out if we are wrong.

In any case, I think Jorge's advice is on the money - don't hang your work in a coffee shop.

Cheers,
    I don't agree, I sold over 500 posters out of a coffee shop at $29.95 each over the last two years, that is a bit of change for a starving artist, and don't get me wrong, I respect Jorge 110% but if your in this for the long haul, selling prints and posters is one of the most important goals we have, yes, I undrestand and stive for the art, but with out the income the art can't happen..as the media we deal in, is expensive...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been, and am, represented by quite a few galleries. Even if there is no contract, which is common, there is usually an understanding that the gallery has exclusivity on your work for that city or region. Also if you are at the point where your work is now hanging in a NYC gallery, it may undermine your image or the perceived value of your work to be hanging it in a coffee shop. The gallery may feel that this undermines their efforts to promote you.

As for selling your work to the public behind the back of the gallery, or selling it at a lower price than the the gallery,it is not a good idea. The only people who may get discounts or who may deal directly with you are people within the art industry, dealers, other artists, art consultants and interior designers who buy in quantity, etc. And even then if they have seen your work in a specific gallery, they should always be directed back to that gallery for their purchase.

The general public should always be directed to one of your galleries. If you choose to sell to the public yourself, and provide discounts to them, you will soon find that no reputable gallery wants to represent you. Most galleries have a serious overhead, why should they hang your work only to have someone who has seen it at their gallery contact you and buy it from you at a discount?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I don't agree, I sold over 500 posters out of a coffee shop at $29.95 each over the last two years, that is a bit of change for a starving artist...
    Sure is. That must be some picture.

I think posters are a little different. I've been referring here to handmade prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Sure is. That must be some picture.

I think posters are a little different. I've been referring here to handmade prints.
    I am also represented by quite a few different galleries here in the west, and we always sign an agreement that spells out the rights and requirements of the artist and the gallery, but I know here in the west, unless there is an agreement in place in writing, then the artist is free to display elsewhere, as most galleries don't want to pay the extra involved in exclusivity rights over the artist(at least here in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc). And yes it was quite a picture, in which the first 50 in the hand made prints sold out pretty quick, before we offered the posters. I personally from experiance, think that getting stuff in writing, so that no one gets mixed up on what should and should not happen is really short cutting themselves, of course I won't do a wedding without a signed agreement in place, it leaves far to much in the fuzzy area and leaves you open for to many problems.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is of course a happy compromise. You could show work in the Coffee shop stating that images are available for sale via the Gallery, and giving details.

However on the other hand you could offer prints for sale as long as you keep the prices at the same level so as to not undermine the gallery's prices.

In reality it can only be benificial for your work to be seen in as many places as possible, but you do have to adress how you handle sales, prices and gallery's cuts.

Perhaps its important to remember that most of the public doesn't visit galleries, and a far higher percentage visits cofee shos, restaurants etc.

Speak to the Gallery, show in the coffee shop, all publicity can be good publicity if handled in the right way.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would agree with the folks who say *no* I think this would be a big mistake and affect your new relationship with the gallery who you hope will represent you. Don't even think twice say no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Handshake agreements in the current economic market will lead to mis-understandings and hurt feelings..It is always a thrill to be shown, I am in awe every single time someone wants to represent the work that I have done, but have learned over the years, that leaving it to a handshake will leave you very disapointed with the outcome.

Make sure and know, what the rules and the boundries are, on showing your product and you will be far happier with the outcome.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin