Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,409   Online: 953

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pricing prints

Shooter
    35mm
    People tend to value things based on what they paid for the product. If you sell a print for $100.00 that is its value..if someone else sells ao similar print for more or less than you did that becomes the worth in people's mind of the second print. I believe there are, for instance, people who would not buy a Merecedes or BMW if it were selling for the price of a Chevy. If you give someone a free print then the person getting the gift may well think that it is worth next to nothing.

Of course none of this helps you in oricing your prints it is just my thoughts about attitudes.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everytime I go to art expo/sales I spend time at the photographer's booths. Almost everyone stops and tells each photographer how much they like the work, but I rarely see a sale. Photography has always been considered a lesser art form, really more of a craft than fine art. We know that a photograph can be fine art, but most photographs do belong in the crafts category IMO.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Prints Worth

I did a bunch of otdoor shows last year and also had my own small gallery for a summer in a beach town. Print sales are all about to whom;to what and for how much. There are people in this world who just want something and price is irrevelant. For others they figure you're at a craft fair so why not try to get it as cheap as possible. The REAL problem is making people understand what you do. I usually set up my little wista on a tripod and then the questions start flying. Not the sales mind you-the questions. I do believe there are some shows worth getting into that would reward the artist. Of course there is always the weather to contend with. I've seen everything from summer hail to 60 MPH gusts. Now I'm printing all of my work srictly for Gallery representation. If I'm going to make it in the Art World that's where I care to be.
    Best, Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin