Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 972

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't afford to have it printed at a real print shop and only wanted to make a few (say less than 10) so this may be an area where printing the images with an "archival" ink jet printer onto a heavy art stock would work well. It won't go up on the wall, exposed to light 24/7, so it shouldn't have much in the way of stability problems.

Or I could go all out and hand-bind pd prints, but making 10 books with (at a guess) 35 images in it--350 pd prints total--that may cost more than having it printed at a print shop

This has been a goal for quite a while now so I will make a note of the best options while I am still getting together the images. There are so many small negatives that I have printed or proofed when I was working without a darkroom (just shooting, rolling it onto a reel in the closet, and developing) that I wanted to revisit them with this project. Think retrospective

The idea in my head has been to do pd prints on watercolor paper with interleaving sheets of vellum (like clearprint) with text and then hand-bind it. I guess I was just looking for a way to get off cheap and w/o all of the work, but thinking about it, I would never be satisfied. To keep the cost down I could go with a more intimate book size (like 7x9 instead of the larger books that you see a lot of today) which would also mean smaller (and cheaper) pd prints. The killer at this size would be the square images which I don't like on a panoramic book like this, but if I printed 2 on page--choose them so they play off each other well--I could actually coat the paper in 2 4" sections and have 2 4" square images on the page.

Hmmm, this would also be a great way to make another book I want of the stack of images I have of my girlfriend--of course with the last page being a picture of me on one knee with a ring asking her to marry me (shhh, don't tell her!).

Damn you, Nanian; it looks like I have a new skill to learn! I can't afford to get all of those books at one time, John, but are there one or two which would start me out in good stead?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In regards to the portfolio box:

I am gathering my favorite (not necessarily the best, hey, it's for me I can pick what I want! ) toy camera images together to see how many I have because I want to do the portfolio box with them.

But for the other projects I have in mind I really want to do a book--it has always been a photographic goal and I think my work is getting there that I would be proud to have it on my shelf.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jeremy the link I sent charges about 40 dollars per book I think.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sorry 'bout that <gg>

the smith book "non adhesive binding" is pretty amazing -
    he gives really good diagrams of basic and intricate stitches. books boxes /portfolios is very helpful as well for info on paste/glues, making covers and the best way to do "stuff" without a book-press &c.
    you might also check out this website:
    http://staffcentral.brighton.ac.uk/g...t/ba_sewn.html

i often make a stab binding and do a simple stitch , but i have seen others make absolutely stunning books with coptic stitching.

have fun!
    -john

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Damn you, Nanian; it looks like I have a new skill to learn! I can't afford to get all of those books at one time, John, but are there one or two which would start me out in good stead?
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-01-2005 at 10:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: website with japanese binding examples

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang it, John... you just HAD to put in that link to the Paper source... Cripes... here I am with a dead serious addiction to paper, and now that!

This is a very interesting subject to me... hm... bookbinding. Yes, I do think one more hobby is in order.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here's a good book for anyone interested in making their own book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
    Paul Hamann

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I ordered one of those books from Apple through their iPhoto program. It was a laser printed book in a hard cover like these self-publishing places. The image quality wasn't good enough to sell in my opinion. It would be great to show a gallery owner in a pinch, but that's about it. It cost $40 after shipping for a 9.5x11 inch book with ten images.

-Greg
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jeanette -

paper source is pretty nice. not only do they have paper + bookmaking/scrapbooking stuff, but wacky ruber stamps.

sorry again for feeding the addiction

- -john

Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Dang it, John... you just HAD to put in that link to the Paper source... Cripes... here I am with a dead serious addiction to paper, and now that!

This is a very interesting subject to me... hm... bookbinding. Yes, I do think one more hobby is in order.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've seriously considered dry mounting two FB prints back to back and spiral/coil binding them into a book. Not as elegant as hand-stitched but very functional and aesthetic. There is the Akiles Coilmac binder which is pretty affordable and seemingly not junk. The Rhin-o-tuff one looks awesome!

Not that you'd want to crank out 100 copies of a book with 10 photographs in each book.. 1000 pictures is a lot to print!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    Here's a good book for anyone interested in making their own book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
    If you can find a copy, I'd also recommend Bill Owens' mid-80's Publish Your Photo Book. By "publish" Owens means runs of over 1000. The goal is not to make money, but to attract interest. It contains insight based on his experiences and letters from other people who had published their books, such as Larry Sultan.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin