Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,754   Online: 990

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Print Size?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well yeah, from the gallery point of view larger sells better than smaller....to many people filling more wall space is a bigger consideration than the print itself. I see this a lot here in Mexico, people buy huge paintings (some of the horrid) for many thousands of dollars so that they can fill one huge wall with it. With exception of the few serious collectors as well as museums etc, lets keep in mind that photography for most people is nothing more than interior decorating, and as such, the bigger the better.. :o

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OK. So I'm reading that for some of you print large because your buyers want them large. For others, you print small because you like the intimate feel it offers and finally some say that if the neg can handle it go big.
    This is very interesting. Thank you for your input.
    This helps me in many ways. I feel that I can make some logical choices for my work and maybe some advice to my group.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I don't really see this as an issue of postmodernism, though there are photographers like Gursky and Struth who have other reasons to be thought of as postmodern printing big. I think for them size is more about competing with painting on museum and gallery walls than it is about, say, skepticism about the validity of all metanarratives. And even Ansel printed bigger and bigger as he became more famous.
    Fair enough David, I guess that I just associate with post-modernism (which I can enjoy). But maybe it is just the paint envy thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin