Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,330   Posts: 1,537,198   Online: 858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Peter, A stick of Sumi costs 4 or 5 bucks. It is worth playing around with even if just out of casual interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Neal (Flotsam) - Sound lilke a great idea. I assume Art Supply stores have the Sumi Sticks? By the way, what is that pen-like thing with the sharp tip in the photo of your set-up?
    I've seen Sumi sticks all over the 'net and and my local Pearl Paint.
    That pen-like thing is a Robert Simmons Lancer 3/0. It is my favorite brush because of its big diameter barrel. It is perfect for gripping and twirling with my big, fat fingers. I've had it for many, many years and will be heart broken when it wears out. If anyone knows a source for these or similar brushes, please let me know.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neal, you are so uptown with your spotting set up!

I use a whipped margarine container top with dried Spotone and spit. :o

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are also these wonderful gadgets out there called Spotpens. They sell them in sets for warmtone and cold tone, and they even make three sets for color prints. While they're not cheap cheap, they work extremely well, and give you the control of a #00 brush. Each set (for b&w) comes graded from 1 to 10, where 1 is a shade darker than paper white, and 10 is dmax black. I use them all the time and I find them to be outstanding. They are also water soluble, so if you goof and use the wrong tone, just a bit of water on a q-tip or a little spit on your finger will clean it right up.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still see Spotone on the shelf at the local photo supply -- but they have a lot of very, very old stock in various things, and almost no current photo chemicals or materials other than film; they're trying very hard to keep the rent paid with sales of digital equipment and printers, since their processing business mostly dried up. Don't know how long they'll last; I'd buy chemicals there if they had them even at higher prices than purchase plus shipping, just to help keep a local store up, but they can't justify even bringing the stuff in.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    There are also these wonderful gadgets out there called Spotpens.
    Heh heh! Beat me to it!

Tetenal make them and they're in the latest Speedgraphic Catalogue under Print Sundries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw a post from the guy who made Spotone on another forum (photonet I think). Reports of his death are somewhat exaggerated but on the other hand, reports of Spotone's death are not. The company is no more (a combination of being forced to leave the original factory, falling sales and the owners age IIRC) but the owner is retired and looking forward to many more pleasant years on planet Earth.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After a lengthy and difficult, but successful session with Spotone, I then proceeded to tone several prints in KRST. DOH!! Off went my careful work, disolved in the selenium toner. Tone...then spot, dipstick!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    re: reports of his death are exaggerated

You'd think the old guy would have done us a service and sold his business rather than simply fold up and drift away. (I mailed an offer to the former address of Retouch Methods but got no response.) The rumour mill in the industry (rep-talk) is that he really is pushin' up daiseys. (Speaking of rumors... anyone ever hear the one that he added his own special ingredient? lol, I always love that one)

SpotPen... much easier but a helluva lot more expensive.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    years ago Kodak sold a set of disks that were neutral and warm and cold. they were what looked like water colors. If I did not have nearly a full set of Spot Tone that is what I would use now. Water colors

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used RIT black fabric dye. One box is a lifetime supply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin