Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,982   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Old news? Spotone is dead!!!!

I just went to get a bottle of spotone from the little overpriced place here in town and was told that the owner/maker of spotone has died and did not pass on the formula for making the stuff.

Yikes...

Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike's camera in Boulder had some sitting on the shelf the last time I was there. I don't know that the stuff ages, but I could see that it gets to you if you need some. They had two or three of the 6 packs of all of the colors. I am certain that it is too expensive and they won't discount it, but it exists, and that is something.

Paul.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this is true, but it is still listed at several vendors, and the good thing the stuff last forever; i have several bottles that must be 20 years old.

Along that line Veronica Cass made wonderful spotting dyes, but she too has retired; atho her shop is still selling product and will continue to do so until it is all gone, or someone else buys the business.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    And finally, if all else fails, Edward Weston made his own using india ink and gum arabic. He varied the amount of gum arabic to match the sheen of the paper surface. I think someone's posted a formula somewhere around here.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I've used Sumi Ink for years and love it.
    It's been around for centuries so I doubt if it will be discontiued and if it is, the stick that I have is sufficient to last myself a lifetime and then all of my heirs for several generations.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I find Spotone to be great stuff. I spot some fairly decent areas and find it impossible to notice. I once dodged an area on a print and didn't move the wand and discovered a one inch 1/16th inch almost solid white line. Luckily it was on a marbled floor type tile and after using the stuff nobody notices even after I point it out.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Marshall's

I saw a spotone indentakit at B+H yesterday. I imagine it does the same thing. Flotsam what kind of sumistick does one get for this?
    Best Peter

Images
    Peter,
    This is a lousy flatbed pic of my spotting rig. The palette is a piece of non-glare picture frame glass with a piece of photo paper taped behind it. I've seen this brand of Sumi stick in several large art stores. It is pretty recogizable. Here's a tip: There are other sticks that I haven't tried but don't use the liquid stuff. Sounds convenient but doesn't work well for spotting. Also, Inks are a different technique than dyes so the first time you try it, you'll probably say "this sucks", play around with it and once you pick up the style (probably easier than learning dyes), you can whip over an entire print very quickly and if you screw up, wipe it off and fix it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sumi.jpg  
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Sumi Away!!

Flotsam- I like the Sumi approach and although I've not had problems with the spotone except for the VERY light spots this sounds very practical. I always love learning something here. Thanks!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Neal (Flotsam) - Sound lilke a great idea. I assume Art Supply stores have the Sumi Sticks? By the way, what is that pen-like thing with the sharp tip in the photo of your set-up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin