Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,956   Online: 947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Steve,

Great work and nice site.

My biggest comment, I think your name should be a little more noticable on more then just the splash page for the site. People might print out a page to think about a photo or something in the writing, you want your name displayed on that print-out.

Had a little trouble with the popups like others but was able to see what I wanted to.

Great work, thanks for sharing the link/work, I enjoyed it.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi Steve. Here's my take on your website (sorry if some if this has been mentioned before).

First, I really like the front page. The colors, the layout, the image. Looks great. However, I can't say I'm in tune with your using the "Where real photographs are born wet" statement. I know exactly what you're saying - and couldn't agree more - but I don't think this cheap shot at digital is appropriate. You are, obviously, a very talented artist and belittling another approach to photography will elevate your work in no way shape or form. The opposite may be true, in fact?

Second, upon entering the site, I found your text on either sides to be too small to read comfortably. A couple font sizes larger would benefit me (and my glasses).

Third, I found the link on either sides of the main images to be confusing. Rather than take you to the actual image, the link takes you to the entire "Land of Man", or, "Hand of man" portfolios. You may want to rename those links to reflect the portfolio's names?

Fourth, The Darkroom link might be best named "Workshop" as it better reflects what you are offering.

Other than that, it looks terrific. Well done. Your photographs are truly beautiful, Steve, and may you have great success with your new website.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Thanks for your comments

Thanks Guys and Gals, That is exactly what I wanted, comments on the construction and ease navigation of the site. Sounds like it still needs some attention. I have relayed your comments to the web guy.

Again thanks, Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Steve -
    You web site is one of the BEST - and your images are superb.

By the way, I learned a lot from the discussion you and Sandy King had on the Azo forum regarding stand development and pryocat-HD. Am 8x10 LF camera is too heavy for my beat up body - so I am interested in learning to make 8x10 negaive from 4x5 so that I can try out contact printing with Azo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,

I use the Firefox browser, now at about 11% of the browser market (doubled its share in the last three months), and its default popup killer stops your website's popups. As more people upgrade their Internet Explorer or adopt Firefox, your site might become a pain to navigate.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Steve,

I use the Firefox browser, now at about 11% of the browser market (doubled its share in the last three months), and its default popup killer stops your website's popups. As more people upgrade their Internet Explorer or adopt Firefox, your site might become a pain to navigate.

Lee
    I use firefox as well, but when firefox killed the popup i easy changed it to allow popups from Steve's site alone. Though that can be a pain you set it once and forget. I think the benefits of firefox out wieght the pain of IE. Either way it wasn't a big deal for me.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    I use firefox as well, but when firefox killed the popup i easy changed it to allow popups from Steve's site alone. Though that can be a pain you set it once and forget. I think the benefits of firefox out wieght the pain of IE. Either way it wasn't a big deal for me.
    Ryan,

Yes, it's true that you can easily get to the prompt to allow popups from a specific site in Firefox, another of its nice features, and I've done that for a very few sites. However, I think many people who have blocking set up are likely just to leave the site straightaway if popups are required for important site navigation, as I do on most occasions.

Since the question was on usability, ease of navigation, and user friendliness of the site, I figure that Steve might want the whole site viewable without requiring configuration adjustments in the visiting browser.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Steve,

Let me first say that I think your work is stunningly beautiful and I hope to see more.
    I agree with the navigation problems described and the workshops/darkroom comment. The one problem I have that was not mentioned is that I am 85% color blind. For me this means that on your opening page I can read your name. I can barely read “Enter Site” I can read nothing below that. Usually when I have this problem I can highlight the words and they become legible. I can’t do that here. (Windows XP/Netscape)

The figures I have read are: 1/3 of males are partially color blind, 1/16 woman have the problem. For some it is so minor that they don’t realize it until later in life. One co worker discovered it at age 45 trying to follow a wiring diagram.

Hope this helps,
    John Powers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin