Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,371   Online: 1202

Shooter
    Multi Format

The conventions of limited editions

Hi all

Can anyone help me with a question on the general conventions surrounding limited editions. A company have approached me about supplying them with some images for a poster publication. However, the images are represented by galleries and are selling as limited editions of 25.

My instincts tell me that this would be OK, since the L/E prints are hand printed silver prints and I am not selling the exclusivity of the image, but of the print.

Is this the accepted position or do I risk damaging my reputation?

Many thanks

Geoff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When images are published their gallery value increases.

Let the gallery know you are doing it... it will help sales. Then go ahead.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gwatson
    I am not selling the exclusivity of the image, but of the print.
    Isn't that the line there. I can think of so many cases where there are limited editions of something, followed by market saturation of the same thing but slightly different. DVD's, CD's, cars, books, games, ad infinitum.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no real idea of what the phrase "Limited Editions" means. There is a perception by the public that they will buy something rare ... limited to "ONLY xx number of copies". However, the "limiting" can easily be interpreted in a number of ways; as "ONLY 25 Prints will be made at the hands of the photographer'", or "ONLY 25 Silver Gelatin Prints will be made by anyone - reproductions in other media may be of any number," or "Only 25 Prints will be made in this run."

What I have seen of "Limited Editions": Signed by the Photographer/ Artist, and numbered, "xx/25". That signature and the expressed intent of "no more" sanctioned directly by the photographer, should be sufficient (IMHO) to define a "Limited Edition".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is no better solution than talking to the gallery. At the very least if they object to it you will know.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin