Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,667   Online: 763

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I downloaded and watched it just fine on my Mac. Windows Media Player is not included with the MacOS install media, but is available as a free download on versiontracker.com.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Extremely educational and easy to follow. As soon as I get my DR up and running, mounting won't be far behind! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I look forward to seeing more if you should so decide.

Andy.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Christopher, thanks for this.
    I have been putting off mounting my prints for a while, because I haven't managed to find any definitive instructions on the net. (I'm too frugal to invest in another book right now!)

One thing I wanted to know for RC prints (or FB), relates to the temperature they can withstand. You mention settings such as silk or synthetic on the iron, but since household irons aren't calibrated on a regular basis (who knows what testing is done to them on their manufacturing floor), do you have an idea of the temperature reached for each iron setting you specify?
    What is a safe temperature to apply to te surface of an RC print? You mention the number 200 degrees in your video, I assume this is in farenheight. Could you confirm this for me?

regards
    Peter Badcock

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PeterB,

Yes, I should have been more clear about this aspect.

RC prints are very sensitive to the heat from an iron, you probably should use a test print before you decide to put on the final one to be sure your iron is not too hot. Youll probably want to use the lowest setting you can somewhere from 170-200F should be fine (if you can measure that), though much above 200F might be too hot. If it gets too hot you will know within a few seconds as the cover sheet will stick to the print as the plastic melts... usually bringing up some plastic with it when you remove the protective cover sheet, I learned this the hard way by having my iron set to a 'medium' temperature instead of a really low one when I first attempted this. If you keep moving and use a temperature you know is safe it should be something that probably would never ruin a print unless you made an accident somewhere along the line.

I dont have experience with every iron of course, but finding the temperature thats right for your paper should be possible with nearly every iron..

as a side note, i believe you can get wax sticks that are called 'tempilsticks'. these are made of wax that mels at different temperatures, allowing you to find out how hot the iron really is... i.e. use the 210F degree stick to find out if your iron(or press) is at 210F yet...

Ive mounted RC from 170F~ thru around 210F, at about 210F is when it became too hot for my paper.... I am only guesstimating about the 170F, interpolating how long it takes to mount in a press at the same temp. to how long it takes to mount with the iron and figuring they are about the same amount of time...

Hope this helps!

(I should update that page now)
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Christopher, thankyou very much for your useful reply. I have a non-contact digital thermometer made by Fluke that will allow me to measure my iron's temperature rather easily.

regards
    Peter Badcock

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Christopher! I successfully mounted my first prints this weekend using your technique!

As for checking temperature, I set the dial on the silk setting and gave the iron the old "wet finger test" If it sizzled I just backed off on the heat setting in very small increments until it stopped. It worked for me.

Thanks again,

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Christopher. I would like to add my thanks to you for taking the time to make this clip. It is now something that I would be game to have a go at. Much appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you for the great tutorial .A picture is worth a thousand words
    a video is 5 thousand. the frame shops around here will quote you weeks to
    get your work back . you have saved the members many hundreds of dollars
    in shop costs. thanks again

cool tunes too

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Christopher!

I finally downloaded your video and it's great! I highly recommend this to anyone who needs a dry mount press but does not want to go out and buy one -- even if they can find it. An iron can be found anywhere and your method is excellent and does the trick. Thanks again!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    35mm
    christopher,
    i enjoyed your video and site. i was wondering what you used as a protective covering for your print. being a novice at dry mounting i'm under the impression i'll need release paper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin