Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,469   Online: 902

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doug, I just used a 'scrap' matte fibre based print that was laying around, I applied the heat to the side of the paper without emulsion.......

It was a sheet of Ilford MGIV fiber base matte, 8x10

you could use another matte board as well, I tried once with a 4 ply and it worked but a thinner board might be better (quicker)
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Christopher:
    Very nicely done!! I had picked up on this idea from Fred Picker's book, but he disdained the idea, so I went ahead and gave it a try any way. Your video will help me fine-tune my technique. I have found that brown kraft paper works well as a release paper, or, just as well, a paper grocery sack slit open. Again, thanks for your effort.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks alot for sharing your demonstration Christopher. I tried to drymount using an iron but had trouble with prints larger than 8x10. Your method works great and now I don't have any problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Christopher

Just watched the video more out of interest than anything as it is a method I have use for a few years mounting upto 12 x 16 prints. I to had the same problem with curving boards after mounting. What I started to do was Iron the mount board first to remove any moisture and then proceed as you have described in your video. It is worth mentioning that before mounting to make sure that the board and the back of the print are clean i.e small pieces of cuttings etc as once the artwork has been mounted there is nothing worse than finding you have a lump sandwiched between them. I have also found that tracing paper is a good protector on the print as it allowes you to see what is going on as you work.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris, thanks a million. Great demo! I had never done that before and after viewing your demo tried it out and it worked like a charm. Should be a big money saver for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great video - thanks for posting.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tons of thanks, Chris. Worked perfectly!!!
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

cao
    Shooter
    35mm

Easy centering with a scrap of paper.

I have a Seal press at the school darkroom where help out, but this is great to know about. One tip I use for centering is to place left edge of the print against the left edge of the mount board, and then I take a clean scrap of paper and fold it the length remaining from the right edge of the print to the right edge of the mount board. I then fold that piece exactly in half, so now I have a piece of paper which is the distance of the centered print to either edge, and I use that to position the print. I do the same thing top to bottom assuming I don't want to weight the bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful demonstration, many thanks for going to the effort of producing this video.

Mick.

Christopher,
    thank you for this very instructive video - I just bought a cheap mounting press off eBay and your video helped me to figure out which steps I needed to do outside the press - like the tagging of the tissue to the print and then again the tagging to the board. Thanks for putting the time in to make this video - it's people like you who keep me bringing back to this forum every day!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin