Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,380   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

dry mount video demonstration

Greetings!

I just wanted to share something I recorded earlier when mounting 10 prints for a project I had been working on. I don't own one of those snazzy dry mount press devices so I used an iron, I figured someone might be able to use the information so I made it available.

the video is 14minutes 55 seconds (yes its kind of long!) and I think it describes how I dry mount a print quite well

there are streams that I believe work on 56k as well as high speed connections

it is available on my website at http://www.depressing.org/archives/2...-mounting.html

understand i am no expert at this, i am not a conservator but it seems to work for me!

Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 09-28-2007 at 06:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: URL updated by poster request
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Christopher,

I was just about to take a whole bunch of 8x10 prints over to be dry mounted but after viewing your video I'm going to give it a go with the old home iron. Great music score by the way. Two thumbs up!

Thanks

Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used almost the identical method for 30-years. Prints I mounted this way in the mid-70s are still firmly stuck to the mat, so it's a process that's successful over time, too.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did my first drymounting, with an iron, last week and am looking forward to seeing your technique. I had a bit of trouble with the mount board warping (not dry enough?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for posting this, Christopher. I'm yet to ever mount a print, but now I will definitely be trying it with your method.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks everyone, youre welcome!

..I am considering maybe doing something like this with other things too?
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MSchuler
    I did my first drymounting, with an iron, last week and am looking forward to seeing your technique. I had a bit of trouble with the mount board warping (not dry enough?).
    the problem might be solved by adding weight to the board as its cooling doing with the print facing down, I read this technique here on APUG somewhere (thanks ! person!) and it works nicely.

Images
    Good Evening, MShuler,

It's a good practice, especially under conditions of high humidity, to put the mounting board into a press for a minute of so, just to remove excess humidity. Sometimes, there can be enough moisture in a board to make a squealing noise and visible vapor as it is driven from the board. Having a dry board (and print) is critical if you're trying to mount RC material, but it's a good idea with FB also.

As Christopher suggests, warping may also be reduced by using a flat weight during the cooling process. One other thing which I routinely do is to mount a fixed and washed blank sheet of paper or a fully-processed and washed flawed print (I have a good supply of those!) on the back side of the mounting board, with the emulsion side facing out. The effect is that the offsetting natural curl of the photo paper on opposite sides virtually guarantees a very flat final product, even with variable humidity levels.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I downloaded your video but can't run it...I'm on a mac. Which program will launch it? Or, do you have it as a mpeg? Grazzi...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    unfortunetly at this point it is only available as a Windows Media file blaze-on, i think i will have to look up getting some mpeg files of it for everyone else!

thanks for pointing that out, but sorry right now it only works on a windows machine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin