Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,988   Online: 996

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that, Dave. I need to be reminded that the world constituency is not at all like my largest client. KISS never fails.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    what the hell is Flah? Is that some sort of bread? What is it?

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    what the hell is Flah? Is that some sort of bread? What is it?

lee\c
    It' ome ort of omiion in the pelling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If a site is slow loading I click out within ten seconds.

As for java script, it may not be the same thing as you guys are talking about, as I know very little about computers, but I recently installed something called a Java Runtime Environment 2 (I think) on my computer (P4 2.66Ghz running windows XP) and it caused all sorts of problems, I even had two 'blue screens'. I uninstalled it.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    If a site is slow loading I click out within ten seconds.

As for java script, it may not be the same thing as you guys are talking about, as I know very little about computers, but I recently installed something called a Java Runtime Environment 2 (I think) on my computer (P4 2.66Ghz running windows XP) and it caused all sorts of problems, I even had two 'blue screens'. I uninstalled it.
    Hi Andy,

Java script and Java are two different things, javascript has a tendancy to be browser dependant and the java runtime enviorment is actually a programming language interperter, so it can cause probelms if it runs into conflicts on your computer and cause the blue screen of death, were is, most of the time the worst thing a javascript will do, is lock up or shut down a browser.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to pile on, but I agree that a Flash intro page is a bad idea. For example, I despise going to freestyle photo if I have to go through their maze to get to the actual site. I have bookmarked the inside page where you can actually start looking for things, but the intro page is very irritating and worthless in my eyes.

The same goes for static graphic intro pages. That was all the rage before Flash hit the scene, but it is no better than Flash, except in the cases where the files are smaller. Anything that gets in the way of the content loses you visitors.

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gotta say that for me the biggest turnoff to a web site is when I see Java applets or Flash on the _main_ page. Those technologies can be really useful to create on-line apps and cool demos (not to mention stupid cartoons), but they must NEVER be shoved down the user's throat. Especially with a photo site, it's even worse because you start adding up Flash+Hi-rez photos and even on broadband it's a PITA.

For me, an all-Flash site is always synonymous with a plasticky, bubble-gum disposable site--movie sites, for e.g.

I suggest you get a good CSS design (one that is tweaked enough to work in ALL the browsers, not just IE), and XHTML for lightweight markup.

And lastly, don't overuse tables and buttons. There is enough flexibility in XHTML markup to avoid doing horrors like TV channels sites.

A good source of sexy, lightweight, standards-compliant Web coding help is http://www.alistapart.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Javascript problems I've had lately have mostly been on my office machine running Win98se, but occasionally on my laptop running on XP Pro.

The site I use for academic purposes is still readable in Lynx, but it's pretty much text oriented. I don't even have frames in that one.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Hi Andy,

Java script and Java are two different things, javascript has a tendancy to be browser dependant and the java runtime enviorment is actually a programming language interperter, so it can cause probelms if it runs into conflicts on your computer and cause the blue screen of death, were is, most of the time the worst thing a javascript will do, is lock up or shut down a browser.

Dave
    Thanks for the heads up Dave. I seem to be managing fine without the Java Runtime prog. The only reason I installed it was Firefox couldn't open some items on pages without it, for example chat windows on forums.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inkedmagazine
    I've been contemplating using a flash entrance and option for my website. How many photographers use flash or any form of advanced website presentation for their sites? Does anyone know how having a flash entrance will effect spiderbots?
    Why?

Why make people wait 10-20 seconds in order to just click on "Continue to site" - I HATE, loath and despise "Intro" splash screens on the front of web sites, Flash or otherwise, (Flash just means I have to wait longer to click in to the actual site). It's a waste of my time. What is the point of it other than: "look how clever we are, we have paid someone xxx to make this site harder to use"... Annoying and pointless.

Do yourself a favour: resist the temptation: it's the triumph of fluff over practicality.

Bob.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin