Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,575   Online: 1035

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please no flash!

I have flashblocker in my firefox... nifty extension!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flash is great - if you need to represent movement. A flash slideshow can be a great option, as long as thumbnails are what appear first.

Here is what would grab my attention - a website that is focussed on collecting fine art black and white photographs, and shows a regularly updated feature - a new interesting/striking/beautiful or evocative fine art black and white photograph.

If you would like to put music on as an option, go ahead. Just make sure that it requires the visitor to turn it on (not off). I use sound on my computer at work for a number of purposes, and have to adjust volume regularly. Clicking on a website that starts blaring at me without warning drives me nuts!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Flash is great - if you need to represent movement. A flash slideshow can be a great option, as long as thumbnails are what appear first.

Here is what would grab my attention - a website that is focussed on collecting fine art black and white photographs, and shows a regularly updated feature - a new interesting/striking/beautiful or evocative fine art black and white photograph.
    Of course, those things can be done without flash.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    what has this got to do with analog photography? Once again Inked has steered this site toward digital. As far as I can tell he is neither a photographer or a collector. When he is not mining this site for ideas for his magazine, he is trying to get info about his web site for free. I refuse to have anything else to do with this clown.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 06-29-2005 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: punctuation

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    what has this got to do with analog photography? Once again Inked has steered this site toward digital. As far as I can tell he is neither a photographer or a collector. When he is not mining this site for ideas for his magazine, he is trying to get info about his web site for free. I refuse to have anything else to do with this clown.

lee\c
    Actually, the name of this sub-forum is presentation & marketing. How many photographers on APUG have their own website? As my site is photography based, this discussion is relevant to the presentation and marketing of photographers on my website. Some of the photographers on my website are members of APUG, so it has even more relevance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by inkedmagazine
    Actually, the name of this sub-forum is presentation & marketing. How many photographers on APUG have their own website? As my site is photography based, this discussion is relevant to the presentation and marketing of photographers on my website. Some of the photographers on my website are members of APUG, so it has even more relevance.
    Well, I always thought it was presentation and marketing of prints not of web sites. But then, it seems you only participate on this site when you want something. Isnt there any magazine web sites where you can discuss the marketing and presentation of your magazine?

How is your site analog photography based? Sure, you include analog photography, but by your own admision the moment you get more digital advertisers and photographers, you will drop analog photography like a hot potato. Nothing wrong with that, but it sure would be nice if you stopped advertising your magazine here. Simmons was asked to stop advertising his magazine here, and his is a far more relevant magazine to analog photography than yours, so it is only fair you abide by the same code.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When it comes down to it David, if you have not figured it out, not many of us here on this website want to hear about your website or your magazine anylonger, if your magazine is good, the masses will pick it up and run with it, if not, then you will die on the vine, like many other have done in the past, your slipshot and in the side door marketing principals seem to be getting a bit old, and a bit worn out, we have offered suggestions, which you have fluffed off and scuttlebuted, you have make your stance clear, I am right, you are wrong and be damned I am going to prove my point!

As one of the other members here always posts in his signature...

"Move on folks, nothing here to see!"

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Well, I always thought it was presentation and marketing of prints not of web sites. But then, it seems you only participate on this site when you want something. Isnt there any magazine web sites where you can discuss the marketing and presentation of your magazine?

How is your site analog photography based? Sure, you include analog photography, but by your own admision the moment you get more digital advertisers and photographers, you will drop analog photography like a hot potato. Nothing wrong with that, but it sure would be nice if you stopped advertising your magazine here. Simmons was asked to stop advertising his magazine here, and his is a far more relevant magazine to analog photography than yours, so it is only fair you abide by the same code.
    Isn't he allowed to ask a question????????

"I've been contemplating using a flash entrance and option for my website. How many photographers use flash or any form of advanced website presentation for their sites? Does anyone know how having a flash entrance will effect spiderbots?"

That's what it looked like to me.

From what I can see there are plenty of people "advertising" their magazines, contests,web sites, gallery shows,photos on ebay, etc. which is part of what a site such as this should be. Where else would we get this information????
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork

"I've been contemplating using a flash entrance and option for my website. How many photographers use flash or any form of advanced website presentation for their sites? Does anyone know how having a flash entrance will effect spiderbots?"

From what I can see there are plenty of people "advertising" their magazines, contests,web sites, gallery shows,photos on ebay, etc. which is part of what a site such as should be. Where else would we get this information????
    Gerald, once again, you are wrong, the advertisment of something that does not fit within the theme of a website, should not be marketed here, there have only been a couple that have advertised their websites and magazines here, and only one of them is devoted entirely to the theme of the website, the Inked guy is on a phishing trip everytime he posts, I have asked him hard questions because I was looking for a place to advertise, and his answers and my responces were taken as an attack, and I was accused of slander, this guy really needs to find somewhere else to ply his wares, because with the tone of the current postings to his questions, I don't know that I could find many that support him or his magazine.

Sorry, the facts are hard, and he is going to have to accept it.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork

From what I can see there are plenty of people "advertising" their magazines, contests,web sites, gallery shows,photos on ebay, etc. which is part of what a site such as this should be. Where else would we get this information????
    Call me foolish Gerald, but I thought this site was for analog photography, not for asking questions on digital web sites. Sure, there are some members who sporadically ask opinions about their web sites, but keep in mind these are web sites about analog photography, and that usually is done once at the most, not about a magazine which by the editor's own admition beleives digital is the way to go. I find it somewhat hypocritical that he belives digital is and will be the better venue, but keeps comming to this site to advertise, fish for subscriptions and talk about digital matters on his web site.

As you say, one question is no big deal, even if it is digital. But we have far more than one question started by inked and they all revolve around his magazine. IMO, there should be some consistency to the "rules," if we asked Simmons not to advertise and continually post "questions" about his magazine, it is only fair that the same standard be applied to all merchants.

Ultimately Gerald, sponsors have their own forum and they can talk about their product to their heart's content. Those of us who sometime advertise in APUG, pass along some money to Sean on top of our subscription fee. It would be nice if the editor of inked would either comeback as a sponsor or pass along some of the profit from the subcriptions to support this site.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin