Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 894

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm involved with Hoopers gallery in London and when we were setting up the Hoopers South, the room devoted to those photographers represented by the gallery, we were advised to paint one wall "Gallery Red" as suggestion that I though was ridiculous. However we tried it and it works very well with black and white prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    From my reading, AA always used to request any colour as long as it had an 18% reflectance. When he had an exhibition at the V & A in London, they painted the walls a chocolate colour. When he first heard, he feared the worst but later said it was one of the best choices he had ever seen. I guess the warm colour complimented the prints. FWIW, I've never liked white walls in galleries: too stark and makes me think I'm in an hospital...

Bob.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    I'm involved with Hoopers gallery in London and when we were setting up the Hoopers South, the room devoted to those photographers represented by the gallery, we were advised to paint one wall "Gallery Red" as suggestion that I though was ridiculous. However we tried it and it works very well with black and white prints.
    Wot`s wrong wiv Battle Ship grey?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    les that's very interesting . we had a party recently at our home .
    and we invited artists to turn the house into a gallery for the evening
    and the room painted red did seem to highlight the black and white sketches
    best .I find myself trying out my latest Black and white print in the red room .
    but there must me a good reason that museums are painted primarily
    white. I wonder if there is a formula to mix a 18% reflectance paint.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I know this sounds crazy, but I have seen black and white prints hung on a deep red/burgandy wall (FLAT, not glossy) and it looks very beautiful. Make sure you have lots of lighting on each print thought. The contrast of using silver frames also looks nice. The deep red wall looks great if you have cool tone images too.

For a normal gallery, I recommend using a slight off (grey)white. Flat only, dont use semigloss or anything like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX
    I know this sounds crazy, but I have seen black and white prints hung on a deep red/burgandy wall (FLAT, not glossy) and it looks very beautiful.
    Indeed. A deep green can work, too. The light really has to be (imho) daylight quality, however. At least that works for me, and how I view final prints.

Regarding the formula for 18% reflectance as asked by someone else, well you can get a paint sample then let it dry down and test it with a reflected reading, but exactly what _color_ 18%? Grey (gray)? I fear that photographs hung close to a wall of such color would create a deadly transparency effect, sucking midtones into the background. Color of some kind can obviate that, letting the greys speak to the rest of the tones of the image instead of the 'steady state' of the grey background.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin