Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,026   Online: 827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mailing prints?

I need to mail some 11x14s to Europe. Likely less then six unless I print way too many. Is there some sort of standard mailer I should look for? Unmounted RA-4 prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most photo stores carry photo mailers, myself I use a padded envelope then insert a couple of pieces of cardboard on either side of the prints to help with the bending ability, also, you should put the prints in somekind of envelope that won't alow them to move and scratch each other in transport, then mark fragile and do not bend, photos enclosed.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mailed my blind exhange print to France on Friday. I sandwiched the mounted and matted print (mounted on foam core, overall size 12X12") between 2 oversized pieces of heavy 3 ply mount board (each about 3/16" thick), taped the sandwich tight, and stuffed it in an oversized padded enveloped. With any luck, it'll arrive intact! Airmail postage wasn't unreasobable at all and the expected transit time is 4 to 7 days.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For 11x14's I just found an excellent corrugated box from Staples. They are 2" thick, so you can fill the extra space with bubble wrap or corrugated cardboard sheets. They come in packs of 5 for about $9.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The staples Canada website doesn't seem to have any corrugated boxes smaller then 12" deep-( Maybe it's an in store item only.

OTOH they have some padded envelopes. I think I've got an empty 11x14 paper package. The kind that held 10 sheets of paper. How about putting the prints in the paper package. Then stuffing that into the padded envelope? Should even be enough room for some cardboard in those big envelopes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    The staples Canada website doesn't seem to have any corrugated boxes smaller then 12" deep-( Maybe it's an in store item only.

OTOH they have some padded envelopes. I think I've got an empty 11x14 paper package. The kind that held 10 sheets of paper. How about putting the prints in the paper package. Then stuffing that into the padded envelope? Should even be enough room for some cardboard in those big envelopes.
    Nick,

That would probably work great, I have shipped alot of glass to europe, simularly packaged and crossed fingers, so far no problems.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not a big risk. I can always just reprint. I just noticed one of the negatives I did this morning likely will need to be reprinted. It's just that the people receiving the prints aren't likely to complain. If I knew they'd mention the prints showing up ruined I'd worry less.

I'll go with the padded envelopes and hope for the best.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I send my unmounted prints around the globe in cardboard mailing tubes. Roll the prints with sheets of tissue paper between them to protect their surfaces and they'll be fine.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I agree Graeme, cardboard mailing tubes are far safer and less prone to damage.

Some are better than others, those on offer here in the UK Post Offices are a little smaller in diameter than I'd prefer but still work perfectly.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mailing tubes with tissue interleaving between prints.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin