Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,698   Online: 823

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Large Prints - Glossy or Matte?

Question: Which is preferable for large prints, glossy or matte? Or does it matter.

Yesterday, I dropped a 30x40 Fuji Crystal Archive glossy print off at the framer. He told me that he couldn't guarantee the mounting since I had it printed as glossy. He says matte is preferable for such a size. What is the problems associated with mounting and framing a print of this size? This is the first print I have done of this size.

Thanks,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Robert maybe it is the heat...sometimes it bubbles and blisters more on the glossy?

Just dont dry mount it, hang in with the acid free tape and mat over?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Robert maybe it is the heat...sometimes it bubbles and blisters more on the glossy?

Just dont dry mount it, hang in with the acid free tape and mat over?
    That is a possibility. Heat here isn't too high, rarely hits 90F. Mostly humid. My framer mounts everything with tape, and hinges. No dry mounting. All acid-free boards, UV glass.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a glossy 16x20" Crystal Archive print hinge mounted with linen tape that's been hanging for at least a year or maybe two with no problems. I don't see why glossy would be a problem, as long as it is handled carefully, other than preference for one or the other.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I would imagine the biggest difference is their attention to detail and working carefully. I have not mounted any glossy Crystal Archive prints this large. I have mounted a few glossy prints that needed done in sections because they were too big for my platen. Calls for very close attention to detail that is not as critical with a matte surface.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Robert I had incorrectly assumed you were having them drymounted to back board etc.....I dont know what would be the problem with the tape method

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Question: Which is preferable for large prints, glossy or matte? Or does it matter. Yesterday, I dropped a 30x40 Fuji Crystal Archive glossy print off at the framer. He told me that he couldn't guarantee the mounting since I had it printed as glossy. He says matte is preferable for such a size. What is the problems associated with mounting and framing a print of this size?
    I am guessing that over such a large area the issue is ripple. It will be hard to keep a large print totally flat, which may cause specular distortions/reflections on the surface when viewing. The ripple will still be there with matte but there will not be any reflections.

Just an idea - not speaking from experience, though.

j

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Yesterday, I dropped a 30x40 Fuji Crystal Archive glossy print off at the framer. He told me that he couldn't guarantee the mounting since I had it printed as glossy. He says matte is preferable for such a size.
    Robert,

Why not ask the framer. I'm sure everyone would be interested in his reasons rather than speculation.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Being glossy should not be a problem for your framer, I am framing 30x40 high gloss cibachromes all the time as well as very large fujiflex prints. I think he may be intimidated by the size of print and his working methods.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin