Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,656   Online: 634

Images

Does mounting tissue go bad?

Title says it all.

I inherited a couple of boxes of mounting tissue that are about 30 years old. Is there any reason I should not use them, and will they still work? I tried to mount something and it popped right off. I was using a mickey moused set up so might have done something wrong.

Process:

Heavy sheet of metal heated to 225 in the oven
    Piece of card stock under that
    Photo
    Tissue
    Matt
    foam core

I let the metal sit on top for a few minutes. When I took it off, the photo popped right off and the mounting tissue peeled right off the photo.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Title says it all.

I inherited a couple of boxes of mounting tissue that are about 30 years old. Is there any reason I should not use them, and will they still work? I tried to mount something and it popped right off. I was using a mickey moused set up so might have done something wrong.

Process:

Heavy sheet of metal heated to 225 in the oven
    Piece of card stock under that
    Photo
    Tissue
    Matt
    foam core

I let the metal sit on top for a few minutes. When I took it off, the photo popped right off and the mounting tissue peeled right off the photo.
    Most likely it is your set up. Different tissues need different temperatures. Tissue this old most likely requires a very hot press somewhere in the 250 ºF or more. Having said that, sometimes the glue becomes brittle and as you say goes bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the card stock was cold, it most likley absorbed the greatest majority of heat. Quick-test, use your iron on a corner and see if it sticks. Beware old tissue is likely not acid-free. My advice: use only on non-essentials or give it to a student to use for homework.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin