Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,272   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dirt Cheap Tacking Iron

I feel like I have cracked the magic code and want to share it with everyone here on APUG. I was actually thinking about selling these on eBay, but have decided against it since there are so many sources.

I have found that there are several different brands of tacking irons (or, what we would call tacking irons) available under the name "sealing iron." Here is an example. I purchased one of these from another source and just got it today. Apparently it is for sealing paper or plastic to model airplanes. From looking at it and looking at the one at Fine Art Photo Supply on their site, I believe they are either identical or really close.

I will be happy to report back after using it, but I am very confident that it is going to work just fine. I am sure that it is not as good as an $80 Seal iron, but at $15 plus shipping, it sure doesn't have to be.

Paul.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for sharing this information. It sure looks a lot like my Seal iron.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As a former Radio Control enthusiast (I sold all of my gear to by photo equipment) These irons are used to apply monokote covering. Here is a link to a tried and true supplier who has a whole line of these:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...L=++&search=Go

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaughn
    As a former Radio Control enthusiast (I sold all of my gear to by photo equipment) These irons are used to apply monokote covering. Here is a link to a tried and true supplier who has a whole line of these:

We have a new record, $11.99! Do you think we can find a cheaper one?

We could do this as some sort of a contest. If only RC hobbiests had a use for ULF cameras, imagine the deals!

Shooter
    Large Format
    My grandfather always used a tacking iron for his monokote on model airplanes..
    After seeing the price for a Seal, I looked up hobby irons as well. $12 is much cheaper than $70. Screw that!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just paid about $60.00 for a mint-condition Zone VI tacking iron for my "collection".
    It's kind of funny because I DID buy this same iron from Zone VI in '87 or so but returned it (and Fred was pissed) when my insurance agent picked it up and began looking at it and discovered that it wasn't UL approved. He said I couldn't use it (and be insured by his company) in my studio. After I sent the Zone VI iron back, a helper left the Seal iron "ON" and unattended which caused a feather duster to catch fire. We got back from a quick errand just as the wooden wall cabinets were starting to burn! We managed to put out the fire ourselves (just barely) but the formica counter top,
    cabinets, new linoleum tile, and Solebury Matt mounter were disfigured to the tune of about $1000! (No, I didn't file a claim with the ins. company!) Whatever iron you use- BE CAREFUL!!!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blaughn

Yup, I have the Coverite 21st Centruy (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXB361&P=ML) I only paid about $30 Cdn for it tho, but that was a few years ago. Great iron, good thermostat. Works like a charm. Came with a stand too.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Funny, I was just found my sealing iron this afternoon, it’s the only thing I have left from my model flying days. I too exchanged all for an OM1n.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Way cool Paul!!! I just lost an auction on eBay for one of those today. My high end bid was 40 bucks!

Now I can buy more film! Anyone seen any APX 100 in 120 out there???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markrewald
    Way cool Paul!!! I just lost an auction on eBay for one of those today. My high end bid was 40 bucks!

Now I can buy more film! Anyone seen any APX 100 in 120 out there???
    I have about 30 rolls, but I don't think you can afford it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin