Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,883   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Tissue

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mounting Tissue

I am planning to buy some mounting tissue from interstate, but am not sure which to order. The choices are Marshalls Galarie Mount or Seal MT. Three of the Seal Mt ads say Non Archival and the rest don't specify.

Could somebody explain what the differences in tissues are?

Any help appreciated.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Carol
    I use seal mt tissue for different reasons.
    Seal Colour Mount- this is a very durable and easy to use material, it is non removable and good for rc and colour work.( since the mount will last longer than a colour photograph I do not worry about so called archival rating with this tissue.

Seal Archival - this is a removable tissue and a bit harder to work with and you can use it at a lower temp.( I have had a problem using this tissue with inkjet prints* changed the colour of the print 8hrs afterwards* ) it is also not as agressive as colour mount.(with fibre prints I use a large border under the mat so that the corners coming up do not become a problem) I have never tried to make this mount reversable as Seal Claims.

these two mount materials are to be used with heat. There are also many cold mount methods to use but you do need a small laminator machine to do this.

hope this helps

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never bought any new, I got some Seal MT-something from eBay and on the pkt says it's suitable for fibre papers, I gather there must be a different version for RC. I also got a roll about 1m wide with the press which seems to work with RC ok, but not fibre (I've had prints bubble and lift, but when swapping to the Seal they stuck fine). Vanbars sell something but it's terribly expensive... I had a pkt in my hand one day and when I went to buy it I asked "how much is this" and after they picked me up off the floor, I said I didn't need it!

I'd be interested to know your source and how much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How hot do you run the color mount? My first attempt at this process was with the setting I use for for fiber base paper and tissue (old Kodak shellac). Needless to say, the lamination was "complete" and permanent. What a mess. Glad it was "only" an 11 x 14 print, oy. tim

P.S. Only thing worse looking was the time I tried to dry an RC B&W print in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you Bob and Nige for the help. Vanbar had a new brand in called Bienfang. The salesman says it's for B&W fibre prints and it's to be applied with heat (my iron). 8x10 costs about a dollar a sheet. I figured I am going to need it as I've recently started using fibre paper and can't imagine how you get a fb print dead flat to frame it. I've got plenty of time to learn to use it as I haven't got a print worth framing yet.
    BTW Nige did you know that Vanbar has all their products and monthly specials on line now.

Thanks again for the advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carol -

Bienfang is an old, well respected brand of art and office supplies.

A buck a sheet sounds a little expensive, however. I have been using the Arista brand tissue from Freestyle - 8x10 is $16.99 for 100 sheets, or 17cents/sheet.

There has been a lot of discussion about using mounting tissue with a hand iron. Even Ansel Adams mentions that in one of his books. My experience with that was very unhappy - I couldn't get the heat to be even enough to avoid bubbles between the print and th emount. Eventually, I found a used dry mount press (a 12x15" Technal, $75) that I am still using, 20 years later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried finding it on Vanbars on-line shop but couldn't. Maybe we need to organise a group buy from the US... Would need to get enough to warrant the postage (which seems to be very high considering... I went to order some of the J&C film and the postage mean I need to buy a lot to make it a small portion of the purchase).

I do have a press but they are not cheap yet around here. I paid $400 (AUD) and I've seen some advertised a bit cheaper but because they are so heavy, you need to be able to go and pick them up. I have used a houslhold iron and for up to 8x10 it can work. It is good to flattent the prints in the 1st place, but I agree that a Fb print needs to be maounted for display... I hate wavy prints!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Thank you Bob and Nige for the help. Vanbar had a new brand in called Bienfang. The salesman says it's for B&W fibre prints and it's to be applied with heat (my iron). 8x10 costs about a dollar a sheet. I figured I am going to need it as I've recently started using fibre paper and can't imagine how you get a fb print dead flat to frame it. I've got plenty of time to learn to use it as I haven't got a print worth framing yet.
    BTW Nige did you know that Vanbar has all their products and monthly specials on line now.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Carol
    Bienfang is a division of Hunts corp. Hunts is the same company that bought Seal recently and dropped MT-5 tissue. The tissue marketed under Beinfang is probably Seal drymount tissue.
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    How hot do you run the color mount? My first attempt at this process was with the setting I use for for fiber base paper and tissue (old Kodak shellac). Needless to say, the lamination was "complete" and permanent. What a mess. Glad it was "only" an 11 x 14 print, oy. tim

P.S. Only thing worse looking was the time I tried to dry an RC B&W print in the microwave for 30 seconds.
    I remeber seeing an old Ansel Adams video where he is microwaving his prints. HAHAHA!

I have tried that Arista tissue, and do not recommend it. It is VERY "gummy" and gooey. It is also VERY thick, compaired to other tissues.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Colormount

Noseoil-mounting colormount straight from M. Smith: "200 degrees@30 seconds with AZO. Stay away from Buffermount-it won't work for me. If one does some checking around they might still find some MT-5 around. New stuff is about twice the price since Bienfang took over seal.
    Best, Peter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin