Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

8x10 Mounted on 16x20 Mat

Need opinions before I potentially waste a print and matt board. Is a 16x20 mount too big for an 8x10 print? This one will be framed and goes to the local gallery for sale.

Thanks in Advance.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is what I always used....to me it looks fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's what I typically use, so in my opinion, "no." I like the large borders look.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    It depends. I say YES, its okay. I used to do an 8x10 print, but do a overmat with a 1/2inch border around the print edge. So, it makes the window 9x11. I would set the print up 1/2" also. I think this looks fine, but if you are window matting INTO the image itself...I think it gets sorta small. Remember thought, big matting is always better then small.

To save money and for other reasons, I use 14x17 for all my prints 8x10 and smaller now.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Multi Format

that's ridiculous!

Hell - I mount 4x5 and SMALLER contacts (when doing diptychs etc.) on 16x20 matte board (in frames though - picture frames). Looks great! Looks a bit precious perhaps. But I've heard no complaints at all. If anything - I think the preciousness makes you consider the image more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX
    To save money and for other reasons, I use 14x17 for all my prints 8x10 and smaller now.
    Ryan, I've been using 13x15 which I think looks good. Haven't had any complaints yet on any that I've sold either.

Sparky, that's some hellacious border you're putting around those 4x5s!

Alex
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Big borders look great, but for myself, I usually mount smaller. Wall space is just too scarce in Manhattan.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Wall space is just too scarce in Manhattan.
    LOL: Probably very expensive too!
    My Photography Blog

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    14x17 is a nice size for an 8x10 also but by far my favorite is 16x20

lee\c

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Probably the main reason why I do not mat my 8x10 prints too 16x20 anymore, is because 16x20 is a standard frame size. When selling photography in a standard frame size, people tend to purchase cheep, premade frames. These frames are usually not good quality and there is not much a selection...so people end up putting a beautiful photograph is a cheep walmart frame!

By using 14x17 (or some other random size), it requires the buyer of my prints to have the print custom framed, therefore getting a better quality frame, but also getting a frame that would compliment the photograph and match their home. By doing this, they have more selection and can get a frame that not only looks well with the photograph, but also will look good in their house! Custom frames are usually sealed on the back also, which stops dust and bugs from getting inside.

I no longer use Standard frames sizes for my photography for this reason, but also because there are sizes that I think look better then just standard sizes. I get tired of seeing everyone frame their photography too 16x20, because it starts too look generic to me. Here are my normal sizes-
    4x5, 5x7, 8x10- 14x17.
    11x14- 18x22.
    16x20- 25x29.

Take care,

Ryan McIntosh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin