Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 664

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Storage and preservation of favourite photographs

After searching through APUG I haven't found a thread that provides a collection of info on this subject. I wasn't sure where to post this either.

My question is:
    What tips do you have to ensure the best storage and preservation of your favourite fine art photographs. How do you best look after them to ensure the best archivability?

Matted
    Unmatted
    RC paper
    Fibre based
    toned
    untoned
    etc...
    etc...

Can you post your favourite informative website addresses that cover these issues?

Thanks again APUG.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Images
    If they are your favorites make two copies. Frame one and put it on the wall. Nothing I hate more than hearing about a favorite picture in storage so it won't get damaged. What's the point having it if it is never going to be seen.

The second one put in an archival sleeve and, in my case, throw it in a a tough as hell portfolio box. The second is to replace the framed one when it gets nailed by one of the three year old tornado's missles. I do not mount the second set. For color and BW The framed one is corner mounted on archival board and as sealed as I can get it in the back.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a copy of "The Life of a Photograph" You will prize it. In some ways, they might overstate their case, but archival preservation is actually not as well done as most people think. The book will be of great interest.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I produce a series (usually 10) on Double Weight, Fiber-based paper. I tone 3 for different times (Selenium 1:20) and pick the one that looks best and tone the rest of the series according to it. I usually matt and mount 3 (1 for the wall, 2 for the portfolio) and save the rest in sleeves.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On display or boxed?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Light impressions has a good selection of boxes and sleeves. Most of the rest is store in a dark, cool, dry environment. Also make sure your negatives are kept separately in a similar situation. I recently purchased a fire retardant 2wo drawer file cabinet for my negative notebooks . Not fire proof but offers some comfort. The thing weighs over 300 lbs.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found this site when looking up ways to maintain an old family album. Bit academic, but solid.

Whitey

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought the least expensive archival boxes I could find. I went to an art store (Utrecht) and bought thin acid free tissue to put between prints.

Nicole, take it from an old fart the photos will only increase in their worth to you as time goes on.

I would not stop there. Any negatives that you will not be printing from for the forseeable future put them into archival sleeves, in a box. Cover the box with aluminum foil. Put the box into a plastic bag and freeze your negatives.

If part of your processing regimen includes selenium toning which reduces the amount of development need and gives finer grain..particularly for the 35mm user the negatives will have even better keeping qualities.

Nicole, you are producing some gems.I t would be wonderful if some lucky person could print them 300 years from now...and they would be extremely valuable.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all very much for your input!! Claire who know's who/what will (still) be around in 300 years time... Thank you!
    Kind regards, Nicole

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin