Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,925   Posts: 1,522,117   Online: 783

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Frame Moulding Finishing

I need to finish a series of ongoing frames in a very smooth , tough method , much like the satinwood finish you get in commercial frames from all the major suppliers.
    We have tried every possible method and are getting close but no cigar.
    I need to finish the wood in black or white and I do not want the finish like a piano but a more dull satin smooth look.
    Has anyone figured a way to do this any help would be greatly appreciated.
    We cut and join our frames inhouse and up until now , oiled or stained the wood but the grain always shows through and I am trying to avoid the wood grain.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    I need to finish a series of ongoing frames in a very smooth , tough method , much like the satinwood finish you get in commercial frames from all the major suppliers.
    We have tried every possible method and are getting close but no cigar.
    I need to finish the wood in black or white and I do not want the finish like a piano but a more dull satin smooth look.
    Has anyone figured a way to do this any help would be greatly appreciated.
    We cut and join our frames inhouse and up until now , oiled or stained the wood but the grain always shows through and I am trying to avoid the wood grain.
    Ebony / black / dark walnut "wiping stain" mixed with a spray type lacquer and applied with a touch up gun or an air brush. Lacquer dries in seconds and the dark stain will hide "most" if not all of the grain.

Here in Ottawa, I buy this for refinishing antique radio cabinets and I get it from "Randalls Paints". You won't find this at a mass merchant. They won't even know what you're talking about.

As far as the finish level goes, the lacquer will dry shiny, but a rub with some 0000 steel wool will wipe away the gloss and leave an absolutely level "satin" or slightly less than satin finish.

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black anodyne dyes that are available for woodworkers are great for the framer as well. Final finish - paste wax. You get a wonderful, and renewable satin glow. I frame all my own painting and this combination always gets people asking where I bought the frame.

For woods that I wish to leave "natural" I use Watco oil or Waterlox finish. Just coat, wait 20 minutes and wipe off. The more coats you put on, the shinier the wood gets, but it's never really high gloss. Paste wax is good here as well, since the surface can be buffed after all is put together and fingerprints removed. I use Butchers wax. Renaissance Wax or any of the other microcrystaline waxes are great for preserving things but I find them too hard for frame finish.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin