Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,372   Online: 803

Shooter
    Medium Format

How to Archival Mount polyester based prints???

I've tried tacky board, gatorfoam, ultra-mount, and 3m 568 roll adhesive.
    They all produce some bit of "orange peel", with the 3m stuff producing the least. I need to mount to acid free board that will not warp in the humid area's where I do outdoor art shows. 24x24 to 29x33.
    Any suggestions???
    Dave.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You've tried 3M PMA? Is that what the 568 is? Make sure to use foam core behind the rag mounting board and lots of mounting springs in the frame (aluminum) and you should be fine. The foam core on the back and the glazing on the front should keep the humidity in check. I used this set up years ago for outdoor shows and it worked for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Scott.
    Yea, the 568 is the PMA. I already do what you suggested about the foam backing. My real problem is the "orange peel" effect that is showing up after mounting. I can't do hinge or tape mounting because the paper will wrinkle in the frame at the shows. I double mat, and can't seem to find the right substrate/adhesive that doesn't cause the effect!
    Anybody ever solve this???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis
    My real problem is the "orange peel" effect that is showing up after mounting.
    I haven't had any problems in the past like that, just an unsightly "lumpiness" to the overall image do mostly to the texture of the mounting board coming through the single weight paper. I started using Ilford MG Portfolio paper which is heavier and eventually stopped using RC altogether. Another thing that I make sure of is to store my mounting board and paper in an air-conditioned environment until it gets into the frame.

Consider switching to fiber based paper as a remedy.

Shooter
    Pinhole

mounting

I have read numerous opinions on the cause of orange peel with dry (heat)mounting and do not believe the claims of surface tension of the substrate.

I have tried dry mounting photos (1 hour lab color prints as guinea pigs) on both matboard and Plexiglas (acrylic sheet for other non-brand products) at the recommendation of a local commercial lab who does this with PMA for high-gloss 'plastic' (polypropylene) prints.

It did not look any better (to me) on plexiglas so I don't blame the substrate entirely. It was a bit better.

I have never seen an unsatisfactory 'new' PMA mount coming from a commercial lab. By new I mean, for example, someone brings in a 'pro'
    wedding or graduation photo for framing. Sometimes they are on nasty-looking mounting board that looks paper-based to me (why use '100 Year Paper' & mount to something non-archival?), and lately they are on a polymer board softer than acrylic.

As a framer, I personally dislike the look of drymounting of photos, especially glossy ones, but have to live with it because corners or hinges don't always work or have their own issues.

PMA is done with a roller press when one does enough volume to justify the cost of the machine. Otherwise a hard plastic 'squeegee'-like tool is used (analogous to a window cleaner's rubber-bladed tool, but less flexible).

You might want to experiment with prints you are willing to risk and try different amount of pressure. I don't remember, but I thought the 3M sales rep said that a mounting press does not create enough pressure for PMA application. Hence the other methods of mounting with it.

CODA is another brand of PMA (pressure mounting adhesive).

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole

two more ideas

It can be argued that any adhesive mounting method is not archival...corners are an alternative that apply no adhesive to the photo (unequivocably reversible, as opposed to the hassle of undoing so-called reversible mounting tissue).

I found an empty box today with a product name to investigate. I don't know if it's archival but it is what I referred to eariler. I didn't empty the box so I can't tell you how it worked.

CODA "Cold-Mount" adhesive coated mount boards
    50 - 16"x20" Styrene 0.040"
    Partno: ST4-1620

CODA, INC. 30 Industrial Ave Mahwah, NJ 07430-2207

I suspect it's a PMA board.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Scott and Murry,
    With RC fiber prints, just about eveything works fine for the shows, even tacky board.
    But with the poly prints, the only thing that is acceptible, but not completely smooth is the PMA on all of the smoothest surfaces. I'm starting to think it's really the adhesive itself, and there's probably no real remedy, considering my show requirements...

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hmmm, Liquid Light on acrylic panels? :O)
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin