Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,603   Online: 836

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Susan,

great work, keep on doing.

Don't try to compare your site's traffic with other at the beginning, more traffic doesn't mean more sold work.

The word "hits per day" is basically wrong. "hits per day" only means "the count of loaded files per day". This can be html-pages, pictures, text-files or the simple one-byte transparent gifs for layout purposes: The more files one or more pages exist off, the more hits. A simple and spartanic layout with less sigle components with 1000 hits/day can have more visitors than a complex site/layout with 100,000 hits/day.
    The measurement should be "pageviews/day" which counts the loading of ALL components a page consists off ...

Your Meta-tags on every of your page are rather spartanic:
    --- snip ---
    <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Black and white, limited edition, fine art prints by nationally acclaimed photographer, Susan Kopecky. Subject matter includes musical instruments, landscapes, still life, nudes and abstract.">
    --- snap ---
    THIS is the first a robot/spider reads in and stores within its databases and used for indexing, (sometimes) beside the text contained within you pages.

Take the keyowrds of apug.org:
    --- snip ---
    <meta name="keywords" content="Photography, Traditional Photography, Analog Photography, Real Photography, Film, 4x5, Non-Digital Photography, Photography Community, Darkroom, Contact Printing, B&W, Black and White, Photochemical, Alternative Processes, Large Format Photography, Large Format Equipment, Medium Format Equipment, 35mm Equipment, Photographers, Photo, Photography Forum, Forums, Silver Gelatin, Halide, Developer, Platinum, Printing, pinhole photography, lith printing, infrared, glass plate, photo links, photography links, photography portal" /> <meta name="description" content="APUG.ORG is an international on-line community, completely devoted to traditional (non-digital) photographic processes." />
    --- snap ----

THIS is one of the secrets of those companies who optimize for search engines: The coice of and the placing of the right keywords within your pages.

Think about more and the right keywords you want, place them and ... be patient. It will last some time until the spiders come back to index your site again.
    Make use of more search engines! Subscribe to them manually and watch their terms! Some forbid this and some that, all expect for example one keyword is only used one time within a single page ... and so on.

Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay gang ~ Thanks so much for the honest constructive criticism of my website. It stings now and then, but overall it's always more beneficial than being told what I'd like to hear. So, I've spent the past 72 hours revamping my website. Whew, now I know why site builders charge what they do... this is not a simple process (at least, not for a photographer). But, I've learned a lot about FrontPage. And there are several forehead dents in my monitor to prove it. Now, I realize that you all suggested bigger thumbnails... this was something that I was unable to change b/c doing so pixelated the images severely. I'd rather have small thumbnails than thumbnails that look like poop. So, this is where they'll stay until I figure out something different. Also, each full size image now has it's own page with it's own PayPal buttons beside it. So, that part is better. And, I learned about and added, shared borders throughout the site.

I understand that there will always be things that can be made better... I'm working on it as I'm learning. My question for right now... "Do you consider this new site to have a more 'professional' feel to it?" Personally, I'm quite proud of it.

http://www.susankopecky.com

Thanks again,
    susan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice Susan. Quite a change for 72 hours. I am wondering if you might want to consider putting an image or some images on your main page (the one you get when you click enter) rather than your artist's statement. I am not sure how many buyers are really that concerned about the artist's statement and I am sure they are all concerned about the images, which are fantastic.

Very nice work!

Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Paul ~ I was wondering about that myself.... unsure at this point as to which page should be the "lead in". I was thinking about the "New Images" page, even though there's not usually more than a half dozen images on that page. At least that would put up immediate images. Any thoughts ???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Susan, I agree that the redesign is great, and also that the thumbnails are too small. I don't use Frontpage (or any MS products unless I have to), but I did a quick seach. I don't know you're experience level, or how Frontpage does it's versioning, but I found this:

To create a thumbnail of any image (pictures or clip art), simply select the image and press
    Ctrl-T. FrontPage creates a second, 100-pixel-wide copy of your image. Obviously, this image has lots less detail than the original, and so it has fewer bytes and a smaller file size. And as we know, a smaller image makes for a faster-loading page.

------------
    You can change the size of a thumbnail (and its file size, as well) by right-clicking it, choosing Picture Properties, selecting the Appearance tab, clicking the Specify Size option, and entering a new value for the Width or Height option. When you save the page, FrontPage will prompt you to save this smaller image in your web.
    ---------
    And:
    ---------
    But what if the default size is too small, or you don't like the border. It's easy to change the default options.

First, click Tools, Page Options, then select the AutoThumbnail tab. Here, you can change the default size of your thumbnails by
    setting the height or width changing the thickness of the blue border around the image (or getting rid of it) giving the thumbnail a beveled edge, which makes it look more like a button.
    ----------

If you change the default size, the resulting larger thumbnail may not be so pixelated? They do say the file size is larger which is a clue...

I'm sorry I can't help more... I do thumbnails the old fasioned way by vreating them manually in a graphics editor...

Great site and good luck with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK
    Paul ~ I was wondering about that myself.... unsure at this point as to which page should be the "lead in". I was thinking about the "New Images" page, even though there's not usually more than a half dozen images on that page. At least that would put up immediate images. Any thoughts ???
    Maybe the new images page. Maybe a page that has just a large image and a little bit of text. I am trying to visualize this myself for my own site that I am developing, but something like an image, a little text, and some buttons to draw folks to the various pages. As it currently configured, I would not recommend the new page because there are too few images and they are kind of small. It is designed as an internal page and this page is not internal. Also, I would probably change the home page link to this page instead of the splash page. If someone wants to return home, they don't want to have to click enter yet again.

If I come up with more ideas, I will let you know.

Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks to me like you are heading in the right direction with the changes that you have made. Good luck with your print sales.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Site

Susan-good going! Now when you're finished you can come over and help me get my site going!! (insert joke)
    Best, Peter Schrager

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the new design so much better than the old. Congrats on changing things so much, so quickly - learning new tools is not easy, I know.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rich ~ it worked, the thumbs are now "bigger". Figured out what I was doing wrong... I was trying to adjust the thumb after inserting it to the page. Setting the size in options prior to insertion is what makes the difference. Guess one could say I've been sitting around with my "thumb" up my bum.

The site is coming along and I've done several tweaks to it already. However, since I've been sitting here in front of the 'puter for the past several, I'm now really antsy to be outside with a camera in my hands !!! So, I think the website will remain "as is," at least for the rest of the day. I'm going to photograph my way to Cedar Rapids (about two hours if I drove staight there) where I have 30+ prints on display in the National Czech and Slovak Museum and then photograph my way back. The show runs June 19-Sept 11 and I haven't gone over to see it since dropping off the prints to begin with. Pretty sad, eh ?

Thanks for everyone's help. And as I've said, the constructive criticism has been invaluable !!! I really appreciate it.

Susan
    http://www.susankopecky.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin