Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,268   Online: 1149

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK
    However, since I've been sitting here in front of the 'puter for the past several, I'm now really antsy to be outside with a camera in my hands !!! So, I think the website will remain "as is," at least for the rest of the day.
    Susan, enjoy your time away from the PC with the camera. One minor detail to fix when you get back, somehow a couple of the thumbnails on the Elements page are still pixelated.
    http://www.susankopecky.com/Elements.htm

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK

Any thoughts or idea exchange from the members here would be greatly appreciated. If viewing my work would give you a better idea of where it may fit in, please take a look at http://www.susankopecky.com

Thanks in advance.
    Susan
    Susan,

Here is my 2 cents worth:

1) I would eliminate the gallery metaphore of framed photographs. I find it to be very distracting along with the drop shadows. Your presentation should emphasize the image not the presentation itself.

2) Why do you have a black border around the image? Again I find this distracting.

3) Even though the thumb nails are a little small after clicking on one you should present a large image so the viewer can get a clear view of the details of the image.

4) I'm working with an uncalibrated monitor right now but the shadows seem to be blocked.

5) I would change the background to a darker neutral toned color instead of white. For lack of better words the white background seems to distort the perceived tonality of the print image. The images seem to look a little harsh, too contrasty. Could this be the result of how they were scanned?

6) Reduce the price of your work substaintially. If it isn't selling at say $250 reduce the price to $50 to $60 for the first print of a series. Then gradually raise the price as prints sell.

And just remember this. For most of us photography will always be a black hole monetarily. Most of us will never be able to support ourselves through photo sales of our art. If you want to make money through photography shoot portraits and weddings. You can then write off the expense of your artistic work.

Good luck,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Susan,

I have been following this thread with great interest. Anyone with a web site of their own will benefit from the knowledge shared here.

I agree that your new site is much more appealing than the first one we were linked to. However, I would agree that the shadowing and blue outlining around your photographs is distracting and not in keeping with what I believe you would like to accomplish with your site. Also, I have not sold much work via the web but have sold much work through galleries and first hand through workshops and in person showings. My prices are not as high as yours and I have been doing this for twenty years, not that that means allot, nevertheless worth considering.

I can't remember who said told me this, "everyone wants to sell one print for $1000.00, a better marketing idea would be to sell 10 prints at $100.00 each. I'm somewhere in the middle.

My 2 cents
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman
    I can't remember who said told me this, "everyone wants to sell one print for $1000.00, a better marketing idea would be to sell 10 prints at $100.00 each. I'm somewhere in the middle.

My 2 cents
    I would have to strongly disagree. If your work is worth $1000, then sell it at $1000. Don't compromise just for the sake of making a sale. For me, I would rather sell one print at $1000 than 10 at $100 - it is a lot less work, and a lot more satisfying.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Steve ~ Blue...???? Where do you see blue ??? Everything is done in photoshop and is done in grayscale. There is no blue. I'm glad to hear that you've had better luck in the gallery sales than I have. Seems all I get out of galleries are damaged prints. I work too hard on the darn things to feel as though I am just giving them away.

Don ~ I appreciate your opinion, but I'm keeping the "metaphorical" framed prints. I've had many buyers say that the image with the overmat gave them a much better mental image of what the final print would look like. If you're a photographer, you wouldn't benefit from it. But, non-photographers don't have the visualization skills that you and I have. As far as getting a "large" image after clicking a thumbnail.... (general question to all) 'how larger would you like the image to be ???' Heavens, they appear HUGE to me. They certainly aren't any smaller than the full size images one sees on the websites of Scott Killian, Larry Wiese, and many others. Re: prices... the prints have sold at $250 & $500. Granted, the economy has been pretty lousy this year but, that's also why I keep my day job. My main interest is increasing the traffic to the site.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I would have to strongly disagree. If your work is worth $1000, then sell it at $1000. Don't compromise just for the sake of making a sale. For me, I would rather sell one print at $1000 than 10 at $100 - it is a lot less work, and a lot more satisfying.
    I would have to strongly disagree.

Your missing the point, when just starting out a better marketing approach would be to have 10 different people enjoying and talking about your work than just one person.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Amen brother Robert !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Something I will lower my price for.... several years ago at an art show, a woman approached me to inquire about "Requiem for Trees". She didn't have the $250 that I was asking for it and in visiting with her for a few minutes I learned that she was in town on business from Seattle. She said that she'd always had an appreciation for art but, had never considered photography to be "art".... until she saw that print. She offered me $180 in cash for it, to which I replied, "It's not often that a piece of work will change someone's opinion about what is, and what is not, 'ART'. Knowing that one of my prints has changed you mind in such a manner is worth $70 less." To this day she's one of my most consistent clients (and she pays full price now).

The point is, for $70 less on her initial purchase, this woman went back to Seattle with a new perspective. She probably start looking at other local photographers work much more closely. So, selling the print at a lower initial cost, benefited other photographers as well as myself. Sometimes, it's just good karma.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Susan

When viewing a page for the first time each image has a blue fine line around it. Once you click on the image then the blue shifts to a dotted line indicating that image has been viewed prior. Don't see the benefit of the line

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Steve ~

Quote: Real photographs are born wet!

Love your tagline.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin