Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,639   Online: 739

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Steve ~ Oh, "that" blue line.... that just designates a thumbnail. I'll see what I can do to remove it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wah-lah.... no more blue lines.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    can you do that Wah lah thing to anyone else's web site?
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bibbity bobbity boo ! Granted... Wah-lah.

??? Did it work ???

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The images on your front page are mismatched -- even if the picture-content portions vary, the "matte board" frames should match.

Am I the only one who is inherently riled when I can't click from one image to the next in a "gallery" setting? If the structure is like this:

gallery_overview
    -> image_a
    -> image_b
    -> image_c
    -> image_d

There should be somewhere I can click on the "image_a" page to get to "image_b" other than to hit "back" and wait for the overview page to load then click "image_b" then click "back" and wait for the overview page to load and hit "Image_c" (or was it image_d? You mean not only am I wasting time, but *i* have to keep track of the website tree structure???)

This happens all the time, not just your site -- but it's a sign of disregard for the viewer.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Susank,
    The incantation goes "oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang" To be fully effective.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    John ~ Ah yes, I forgot about that one !

bjorke ~ I agree with you completely. Unfortunately, so far as I'm aware, the computer that hosts my site does not support frontpage file extentions (someday I'll get dreamweaver software). Which means I'd need to manually enter every link. While not UN-doable, it would be quite time intensive and as I find myself at the end of this long holiday weekend, I am now out of time. I've been playing with inserting the "next & back" navigation bar links but haven't been able to get them to work. *sigh* Yet another thing I have to learn. Once I get the link bar figured out, I'll try uploading it and see if it works anyway. I'd switch to a different hosting company but, the gentleman who owns the one I presently work with, has given me five years of service in exchange for a couple of prints. Also, I did throw in a "featured print" page which offers a different print every month at a reduced price. Will see if anyone bites on this bit of bait.

In the meantime, some visitors will be offended... and others will realize that while they do have to: remember where they've been, as well as 'right click' once, and 'left click' on the back button, at least they didn't have to: get up from their computer, pick up their phone, dial my number, and have me describe the prints. Or, god forbid, get in their car, waste a bunch of money in gasoline, and drive to a gallery to see my work. In comparison, two mouse clicks may not be such an offense afterall.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Back" and "Next" links have now been added to every large image page... by hand. Grrrrr... I spent three days trying to figure out how to use frontpage's link bars without getting the results I wanted. So, I decided I'd save more time by going into each individual large image page, typing "back" and "next" and setting a hyperlink to the previous/following image. Took me under an hour as compared to futzing around with frontpage.

Got up at 6am yesterday, headed to a local lake and shot some new images. So, I'm off to play in the darkroom for the rest of the day. Will hopefully be adding the new images to the website by the end of the week.

Happy day to everyone.

SusanK
    http://www.susankopecky.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    As an alternative to Frontpage and Dreamweaver you could try the free NVU at http://www.nvu.com ... It's also a wysiwyg and also uses a kind of siteadministration ...

Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    35mm
    No problem whatsoever with downloading speed or navigation in my opinion. Some thumbnails seem a little dark and it is not always obvious what they are but your type of art such as "elements" will seldom be eyecatching in the form of thumbnails.

I had a quick look at a famous( at least in U.K. circles) landscape photographer's site ( Joe Cornish) and if anything he charges slightly less, size for size, than you despite his fame. Being landscapes and with his established position, his market is probably larger than yours. I suspect when he was establishing himself his prices were quite modest. You may want to re-examine your prices. The people with the money seem willing to meet premium prices only if the artist/photographer has the fame to command such prices.

Maybe my next point is just the "Brit" mentality or maybe just mine but having a tiered pricing would put me off buying. It somehow introduces a hard nosed element into the transaction which alienates artist from buyer. It's a bit like the transaction between Telly Savalas and Elliott Gould in the film Capricorn One. You may know the film. Gould, the journalist, desperately needs Savalas' crop spraying airplane to get him to civilisation so he can expose the fake "Mission to Mars Launch" he has discovered. " How much to hire this plane?" Gould asks. "$120 dollars an hour" Savalas says. " Agreed" says Gould. Savalas replies " It's now $180 an hour. You agreed to $120 too quickly so you can afford more."

Not an exact analogy perhaps but it conveys the element that tiered pricing introduces in my mind. Anyway I hope you found it funny. Some humour can cross the pond.

Are your potential customers likely to be fellow photo professionals or keen amateurs? If not, your very good notes on the zone system is unlikely to mean much or help to sell the pictures.

I enjoyed the site and if people are into your type of photography then they'll find the site to be OK. If they are not then no amount of further tweaking is likely to help sell your work.

Best of luck

Pentaxuser

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin