Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,532   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

? How to increase website traffic....?

Hello ~ I'm a fairly new user (first post) but, have done a lot of reading in the forums. Was wondering if I may pose a question, as well as some related background info., to you....

I recently read someone's post stating that his website was generating 3,000 hits/month. How did you make this happen ?

I have personally built a website to showcase my b/w, fine art prints. The site is about 5-6 years old and continues to generate a measley 30 hits/day. I would really like to increase the traffic to my site. I have studied web optimization articles and tweaked my html code to sufficiently garner more links through search enegines... have linked my site with numerous others of similar interests... and have been a long time member of absolutearts.com with an online portfolio there (sold a couple prints to a client in NYC). I've put a lot of time into my website and am feeling as though I am just banging my head into a wall.

The vast majority of my sales have come through my website. And, due to the mistreatment of my prints by various galleries acorss the country, I am inclined to sell only through my website. My work has been included in some 15 group exhibitions over the past 2-3 years, as well as a couple of solo shows. Unfortunately, the prints are so damaged by the time they are returned to me that I wouldn't even consider trying to sell them to someone (i.e. ~ fingerprints/foodstains on the mountboard, gallery name in rubberstamp ink on the mountboard, scratches, dings, dents, sharpie marker and even writing indentations on the surface of the print).

I'm tired of busting my tail in the darkroom, only to have a gallery trample all over my efforts. So far I have advertised in B/W Magazine, purchased GoogleAdwords, and posted listings on craiglist (as well as link exchanges with various other sites). I don't have $3,000 to spend for a "professional" website optimization company, so that idea is moot.

Any thoughts or idea exchange from the members here would be greatly appreciated. If viewing my work would give you a better idea of where it may fit in, please take a look at http://www.susankopecky.com

Thanks in advance.
    Susan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Website

Susan-I just spent some time trying to load your site. APUG is a little slow today but I have DSL and its usually the site that has the problem. You really have to take a good look at your site and your goal s and decide what is it that makes me different and WHY should people come to my site; otherwiise you're just another face in the crowd. Your work is very good -so are a many others...
    Just a thoughr from someone who is accomplished;needs a website and is thinking along the same lines...
    Best, Peter Schrager

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just tried looking at your site. It takes forever to load, and I'm on a high speed connection. Your thumbnails are a bit small as well.

Your photography is excellent. I guess you have to decide who your market is and then how to reach out to them.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Peter ~ How odd... I just clicked the link I provided and it took all of 4 seconds to load my homepage. And, I don't have DSL, just dial-up. My goal for the website is to sell a bit of my personal work. Not that I expect to make my sole living as an artist... I'm keeping my day job (also in photogrpahy). Sites that I have exchanged links with are "fine art" based sites so, I'm getting the "right" kind of traffic, just need more of it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Susan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice site Susan. The first thing you need to remember about traffic is "words" - search engines are optimized for textual content.

First, try changing the title (what shows on the title bar) to reflect what the site and individual page is about. Something like "Susan Kopecky - Fine Art Black & White Photography" or "Susan Kopecky - Fine Art Black & White Photography - Kauai Image Gallery".

Second, your image links need to direct to a new page, not display a larger version of the image. When I click on Kiluea Lighthouse, display a page, with a text caption (not on the graphic itself) that the search engine can read.

Your site needs a few tweaks that are easily done that could increase your traffic. I get around 1500+ per day on mine.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    As a viewer I was a put off by the lack of images in any one gallery. One gallery had one image. I would think of a better way of grouping a larger number of images into one gallery. Right now it is set up to push the back button a lot. JMO

Loaded really quick though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually 30 hits per day works out to 900+ visits a month, you also need to optimize your images for faster loading, the reason it may load quickly on your computer, it is probably cached on your computer in additon you may be closer to the source where it is hosted, and it does not have to make as many hops to get to you, but I would bet it is cached in your browser, but again, in addition to my glass business, we also own a large web hosting and design company that we host over 300 websites and build quite a few new ones for customers every month., one of the most important index sites you can get into now a days is Google, and the way google index sites is normally by the amount of other websites you are linked to, another option in this day and age, is pay per click advertising, in other words you deposit money with a company that maintains and index and you only pay when someone clicks on your link, they work based on your key words.

Also make sure you key words and meta tags are properly done, one area people often overlook is the re-visit tag, which tells the search engine to re-visit your site at regular intervals. In looking at your page souce, you have no revist tag in your page, so a search engine may find it once, but may never come back again.

Another good company to work with is http://www.selfpromotion.com, they have tons of tricks and tips to get your website seen, they are very inexpensive to work with, I think we donate something like $10.00 a year to them and they will save the information about your website and auto submitte it ever 45 days to the various search engines and index websites.

Good luck in your quest, but really 900+ visitors a month is not that bad. You need to figure out what percent of sales you are deriving from the visitors, if it is over 1.5-3% then you are doing real good.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass
    Flathead Valley Web Works
    www.flatheadvalley.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish you well in your search for techniques to increase your sales. I do not think that the APUG site is much comparable to yours. I, and I would guess many others, visit the site more than once a day.

The images loaded very quickly for me. I would suggest that perhaps a larger image would be helpful.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No problems loading the link.

Like the work a lot, but found the images a bit small.

Am not an expert about websites and infact know nothing, but love to look at good work. Making some changes in how to review the images may enhance the site.

Just my .02 worth

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Site

Susan-I just tried reloading-now it several hours alter and it came right up.
    Good for you. I think you got some good advice. If you want to check out a nice clean site: www.scttkillian.com "
    Best, Peter Schrager

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin