Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,397   Online: 1181

Shooter
    Multi Format

Archival print sleeves for negatives?

Are archival print holders safe for negatives? I'm having trouble finding anything labled for negatives in the 5x7 or 8x10 size.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sleeves that print file makes works great for prints or negatives, I have been storing negs in print file archivial sleeves for years now.

http://www.printfile.com/

They also have a full listing for larger sized negs, 45, 57, and 810

http://www.printfile.com/products.cf...018014#product

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ann. I was checking the sponsers and didn't check B&H. I'm trying to avoid B&H right now because I've got a few big things to get from them. Rather not tempt myself anymore then needed.

Dave those are the ones-) Thanks

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Thanks Ann. I was checking the sponsers and didn't check B&H. I'm trying to avoid B&H right now because I've got a few big things to get from them. Rather not tempt myself anymore then needed.

Dave those are the ones-) Thanks
    Hi Nick,

Both Oxford and Avery make archival, polypropylene 8x10 sheet protectors. They should be available at almost any office supply store. Any reason why they wouldn't work as long as they're poly and archival?

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No idea John. Could the negative react with the sleeve? If they aren't tested for photographic use I'd always wonder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the negative is polyester base, those sleeves are probably ok as long as they are of archival material, and free of powders, etc. But if the film is triacetate base (still very common, more so in roll formats), those sleeves are not recommended for long term storage. Triacetate films should be stored in "open" containers such as archival paper envelopes (not gastight) loosely placed in open storage area, adjusted to low humidity, if you want the film to keep for many decades.

Early triacetate films from 1950s stored in enclosed containers began to degrade in 1980s. But those stored in open containers are ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So does that mean the Glassines would be a better choice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, archival paper container, or something that allows the film base to breeze is much preferred for triacetate films. Polyester films are less demanding in terms of archival storage condition. Low humidity is another essential condition, but again, triacetate is more demanding.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    If the negative is polyester base, those sleeves are probably ok as long as they are of archival material, and free of powders, etc. But if the film is triacetate base (still very common, more so in roll formats), those sleeves are not recommended for long term storage. Triacetate films should be stored in "open" containers such as archival paper envelopes (not gastight) loosely placed in open storage area, adjusted to low humidity, if you want the film to keep for many decades.
    I refer the reader to the guidelines published by the US Library of Congress: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/supply/catissu.html

The problem with paper envelopes is that they are not suited to handling as common to negatives in use. While the paper envelopes might be "more archival" with respect to the material triacetate they are less "archival" from the view of mechanical protection of the emulsion during any form of handling.

A good intermediate solutions, I think, is provided by Abodia: http://www.abodia.de/

What's interesting about the Abodia negative sheets is that the pockets are open and wide allowing for some air to circulate. The material is very thick, strong and clear so I suspect some form of polypropylene.

My procedure is to wrap negatives in endless triacetate sleeves--- built around the negative instead of as a pocket with its potential for damage posed by dust, grit or particles---- and to store these, increasingly, in Abodia hanging pockets. When I decide that negatives won't be printed anymore (at least not for a long time) I put them in envelopes in archival (mattboard) boxes.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin