Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,486   Online: 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tetenol Light Protecting Varnish

I was looking at Silverprints web site and came across Tetenol Light Protecting Varnish. Has anyone used this product or know much about it?

It comes in a can and is sprayed on to your finished print. Here is the information given on the site:

"For use with traditional print materials, monochrome or colour, FB or RC.
    Available in matt, semi-matt or glossy, this aerosol varnish has ultraviolet absorbing properties, useful when used with colour prints to prevent fading when displayed in strong light. The varnishes also physically protect the print, and an appropriate varnish can be used to change the nature of the print surface, converting a glossy print to matt & vice-versa."

Regards,
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Iíve used it to change an R/C print from glossy to matt finish. It did the job, but like all such sprays is messy to use. Much better to print on the correct paper to start with. Iíve also used it on inkjet prints; in a previous life.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Dave,

Do you know how this product performs archivally?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Iíve also used it on inkjet prints; in a previous life.
    You mean that you`ve actually done digital imaging in a previous incarnation?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    You mean that you`ve actually done digital imaging in a previous incarnation?
    Yep! Been there, done that; and got bored witless. Darkroom is cheaper too.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    Hi Dave,

Do you know how this product performs archivally?
    I can't answer that; I havn't lived long enough, yet! Make a note to ask me again in fifty years.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Iíve used it to change an R/C print from glossy to matt finish. It did the job, but like all such sprays is messy to use. Much better to print on the correct paper to start with. Iíve also used it on inkjet prints; in a previous life.
    So how did it work with ink jet prints?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    So how did it work with ink jet prints?
    They burned much better!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep! Been there, done that; and got bored witless. Darkroom is cheaper too.
    I use both darkroom and digital, usually the former. Digital allows me to have a bit of fun making theatrical portraits like Ghost, Vampires and other wierd and perhaps not so wonderful subjects along with convenient retouching to rid skin blemishes etc.
    When it comes down to B&W though, I prefer good old fashioned traditional silver gelatin prints everytime, the magic of seeing an image start to appear in the dim glow of a safelight is still as exiting to me now as it ever was.
    I feel that I have had more input into the final image than doing it digitally and I prefer the final results.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    I was looking at Silverprints web site and came across Tetenol Light Protecting Varnish. Has anyone used this product or know much about it?
    Sure, its a good acryllic vanish not unlike those used as a coating for artwork. These lacquers has been an integral part of art for centuries--- granted not acryllic but colophonium or some solution of natural resins of mastic, dammar, amber, copal, sandarac or even myrrh--- and were early-on adopted into photography.

Tetenal's varinish is mainly used for sealing work following retouching but also to prepare work for retouching. Its also (the glossy version) good for handling scratches on the base-- its the same stuff in a spray can that Repolisan was in a bottle.

Better than purchase aerosol cans I'd advice one to get the stuff in a bulk (1 litre tins). Should one need to spray, one can use airbrush..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin