Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,181   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

what made you decide to start selling?

what made you decide to start selling your work?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To fund my ability to create more images.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never sold a photograph. I've given many away. I've been paid very well to take photos but right now that's it. I need to start though, ebay, freestyle, and jandc are eating holes in my pockets. Does anyone have any recommendations for easy website development software for mac?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    what made you decide to start selling your work?
    well you have to make a living somehow don't you?

Clayton

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    To fund my ability to create more images.
    ditto......

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    ditto......
    CONGRATULATIONS JORGE ON PASSING 4000 POSTS!

I decide to start selling when I thought my work was good enough. People started buying (somewhat later) when they thought it was good.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fame, Fortune and the elevated Status of be and so called "Pro"!

Not!

I started taking pictures and gave alot of them away, cause people liked them, and a few people started offering money for images, and I started accepting the offers, cause I was out of work and needed to eat!

Then I got a call, and the art of being broke is history....!!!!

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    had to pay some bills, and couldn't find work doing historic preservation work. i picked up my camera and 15 years later i am still doing it ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started selling work very young, I started shooting on assignment for magazines in my teens so getting paid for my photography seemed natural to me. However I didn't even attempt to sell any of my personal work until I was in my forties, when I was first asked to donate a print for Photo Soho, an auction benefit for the homeless. I was surprised that there were quite a few bidders for my work. With that and the encouragment of my wife I had a solo show in my town, which has a few galleries in it. The show did extremely well and it was the first time that I ever made serious money shooting my own stuff. It encouraged me to present my work to some galleries in Manhattan and on the first day I got representation. A year and a half later I closed my studio in Manhattan and do nothing but my personal work now. One has to make a living and I can think of no better way than to do photography.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    However I didn't even attempt to sell any of my personal work until I was in my forties...
    Just visited your website - now I get the "Early Riser" handle

I find your images and the fact you started selling your personal work in your forties inspirational...(guess which decade I'm in)...thanks.

Murray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin