Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,144   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think one of the problems with the internet, and the ability for the public to view prints in a digital format, has somehow "cheapened" what the photographer does, I know this last few years, I have had to lower my prints costs to sell stuff, so I feel that maybe the internet has become something bad for sales, but it is good for contacts, kind of a catch 22 situation.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Out of curiosity has anyone had any luck with selling off internet gallerys? Something like http://www.art-mine.com or something of the sort?
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    Out of curiosity has anyone had any luck with selling off internet gallerys? Something like http://www.art-mine.com or something of the sort?
    Some of the work on that site looks good and some not good at all, but geez is it ever expensive!!!! If that stuff is selling for those prices, (and with no specific mention, in many cases, of what kind of prints they are) one can only be amazed to the nth degree. WOWeeee!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've sold enough to pay for the site and I plan to keep adding images as long as I live!
    Two things that occur to me, big prints sell better - 40" wide is my max, and thats the size I do most of, although the other better selling size is around 20x16. The other thing is a web site is a brilliant way to refer people to your work - not long ago I used to prefer visits for folks to look at prints (and hopefully buy!) but this meant keeping a large stock of prints, and inevitably someone wanted a print in a size I hadnt got. So now if someone wants to look at a lot of what I do I refer them to the web site, and more often than not this works as a starting point.
    Advertising the site is something ealse though. I've got a small permanent display of framed stuff in a nearby high class eating joint, and I make sure the web site details are almost as visible as the prints. This seems to work pretty well, and on the whole things (web site sales wise) are getting better - although I'm no where near making a proper living from it. I just think its a good way of showing work, and a good way for people to have a good look at what we as photographers do all around the world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Dave Beckerman's also only sells inkjets! Albeit limited edition inkjets.
    This is true. But he was totally digital, (he only shot digital for about a year) having sold off all his film gear. About 6 months ago he decided he was not getting the results he liked with digital cameras so went back to film with a Bessa R3 and a combination of Leica and Cossina lenses. So he is slowly coming back to the fold. He has been printing digital exclusively about 1 year. Before that he printed with a Zone VI enlarger.

But regardless of the final product, pixelgraphs or photographs, the guy still sells a lot of work on the net. One reason is he has a large following for his blog and was one of the first people I was aware of that had a blog about photography. Dates back to 1999 I believe. But I really believe that his blog has a lot to do with his selling work.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Daniel
    At such a cheap price I would not print on fiber base paper, and if you make your prints in the darkroom I would charge at least $45.00 for a 16X20 with shipping cost added to the price. One must at least make it worth their while. Also to speak for the slump in sales a lot of people are on vacation during spring, and summer, or are just outside doing other things. Fall, and winter you have more of a captive audience
    A negative, can always be turned into a positive.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have been selling my 8x10 AZO contact prints (mounted and matted to 14x17) for nearly a year on Ebay now, starting auctions at only 50.00+10.00 shipping. Most prints will get bid up too nearly 200.00 sometimes thought.

When I was first starting out, I barly sold ANYTHING...but after a few people purchased prints from me, it was almost guarenteed that they would come back and purchase more. I value these collectors because they are the few that keep things going for me. Alot of these buyers have purchased over 10-15 prints! I still get the random buyer, which I value all their support as well because sales to other photographers and people just wanting nice art...are just as important as the sales to the collectors!

I have been able to live on print sales for the past year, and not have to work or get a job. It pays the bills, food and gas...and not much more! I dont have money for extra spendings, but im okay with that.

If you are planning to start selling your work on Ebay (or any place for that matter) Contact me and I will give you tons of suggestions for success. I dont want to type out everything on here.

Best of luck to you,

Ryan McIntosh

PS-Here is a link to one of my current auctions. A new images I just posted in the Crtique gallery actually. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin