Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,032   Online: 737

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

cutting 8-ply mats

I've got the Logan compact matcutter with the model 302 bevel cutter and i'm wondering if it will handle 8-ply board. I'm asking because i can't find it in LA and i'll have to order some. I don't want to make the investment if i can't cut it myself. Anyone tried it?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    mine wont

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it because the blade doesn't come out far enough, or are they not sharp enough? I think i could make the hole in the blade longer so that it could be slid down to reach through the thicker material.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Logan matt cutter won't go through the 8-ply. Also, for 8-ply, you should get a cutter that cuts the board by multiple strokes/travels, not by one straight cut, which works well for thinner ones but not for thick ones. I strongly recommend to get an Olfa matt cutter, whose details I posted on photo.net. It'll only cost you $20 but gives you better results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hate to say it.. but if you are ready to lay down the $$$ for 8 ply, it's probably worth invensint 3-500 $$ in a professional matt cutter... I think it would be the only way to ensure that you arent spending top $$ on matts, then turning around and giving them less than the perfect cuts those call for... THAT would devalue your product...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00DdEh

This is the post I referred to previously. FYI.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My fletcher mat cutter will cut 8ply boards, but it is also a professional model... Click Here

I'd have to agree that going to 8ply may very well dictate using the proper equipment to handle it.

joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    8 ply is hard enough, but if it's 8 ply rag, it's even harder. I've taken my 8 ply rag board to proshops with very expensive automated cutter that cut in multiple passes and they still can't cut the 8 ply.

I have a logan 650 ( I think ) and with most careful cutting, I can do 8 ply, but I still have issues from time to time.

8 ply, is just difficult.

Best of luck,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not go near 8 ply rag with hand cutters. I have not heard of anyone who can do a truly professional job with anything other than a computer controlled auto gizmo...and that is after time spent setting up etc.

I have a Keencut ultimat and the blade would not protrude far enough for such board . In any case there would be a lot of bend in the blade and the quality of the cut would be dire. I cannot stand poorly cut mounts and cutting 4 ply to the highest standards requires care, even with good kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a C&H mat cutter and have no problem cutting 8 ply in one pass.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin