Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,898   Online: 1122

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not had anyone ask me but all of the prints I sell are printed on Fiber based paper and processed to archival standards. I do discuss all of these things with gallery owners if they are going to display and sell the work. I usually include "Care and Feeding" instructions as well. Even with archival processing the sun is extremely powerfull and any art work should not be displayed in direct sunlight. As for feeding the only thing prints need are human eyes looking at them and enjoying what they see This will keep them and their owners happy for many years.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Donald, you flatter me in thinking that I will sell that many prints, I must be doing something right.
    A negative, can always be turned into a positive.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    anything i sell is sold with the understanding it has been made with the highest archival techniques available, which includes only using fiber papers, toned and mounted on 100% rag board.
    Ann, that is exactly how I feel, although I work primarily in color. My images are printed on Fuji Crystal Archive paper, 100% acid-free all-rag ArtCare™ Board, wood frames and UV glass.

I also include a brochure detailing steps for hanging and caring for the prints. Hawaii law also requires a certificate of authenticity, which I also include.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For those of you who have not read this whole thread, the companies who make both RC and FB say that they are practically equal in archival quality, WHEN PROCESSED PROPERLY,AND TONED IN SELENIUM. So I am not deceiving or selling anyone short. Seems though I have touched a nerve. I have been printing on RC paper for 20 years, some are in frames in my own home, and they all look wonderful, and some are in my families homes, some were given to friends, and many others sold, and they still look great, and no one has come to me saying "black and white sucks, it's not worth taking home," Quite the opposite in fact.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Indeed the companies say such things, and perhaps they have some accelerated aging tests to back it up in a hypothetical way, but better safe, I say, and ultimately I print on fiber because it looks better to me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ilfordrapid
    For those of you who have not read this whole thread, the companies who make both RC and FB say that they are practically equal in archival quality, WHEN PROCESSED PROPERLY,AND TONED IN SELENIUM.
    I don't think you are deceiving anyone. OTH so what if a company says this. What do they say about Inkjets, color in the sixties.

The next time I see a brochure say "great looking paper that will last a few years" I be shocked.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The paper companys are afraid to speak up, about the advances that have been made because they would get a bad reputation, like I am getting here. The companies sugar coated there answer by saying we chose to let the people decide what they want to print on, rather than proclaim that it's right up there with FB. When my prints start to go bad I will let you know, but I doubt that I'll live that long.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It might be informative to talk with Clyde Butcher about RC paper...from what I understand he almost went bankrupt replacing RC prints that went south on him. And yes, Clyde probably knows full well how to process archivally.

The link to his site is: http://www.clydebutcher.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, Clyde was in town a couple of weeks ago and I talked to him about what he is doing now. He is printing his exhibition stuff on inkjet. He says he does not trust silver photo paper of any kind anymore. He says he had conversations with manufacturers who told him several times over recent years that they have had to make changes in the paper because of environmental concerns - so he now uses neither fiber nor RC.

We were discussing his present touring shows, which include prints that are 16x20 or so - not the giant 8-foot photos he's also famous for. He says he thinks his inkjet prints are better than his silver prints. I agree with him, although maybe not for the reasons he does. I think he does a better job of controlling the contrast in Photoshop than he does in a wet darkroom, but that's just my opinion.

I have heard the story that he had to replace a large number of prints years ago. I don't remember whether he replaced them with fiber prints or more RC, though.

If you ever get a chance to go to a show and talk with him, do so. He's a very nice guy and very willing to discuss his methods. He also enjoys talking about Florida's environment and wildlife.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Donald, With fiber based prints being porous how does anyone really know that every bit of chemical is removed, because the chemicals soak into the print surface. With RC everything stays on the surface and washes off pretty easy. I am not sure why Clyde had a problem, all I know is my own personal experience.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin