Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,750   Online: 1105

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    You know, I find it really sort of humorous that someone would come to a site, like Apug, and want to ask questions about photography and marketing their work and then totally disregard the input of the majority to the point of contentiousness.

I haven't used that RC stuff for over twenty years, not even for proofing, and I don't really see the point to begin now. So I wasn't really aware of the relative cost difference between RC and fiber. I was surprised when I checked into it because I figured that there would be a really big difference. Taking Oriental fiber and RC (in 100 sheets of 8X10) the price per sheet is 76.5 cents versus 47 cents for the plastic stuff.

When I checked Forte, the fiber (in the same size and quantity) was 57 cents and the plastic stuff was 43 cents.

I may be wrong but in my fifty years of business experience there is a thing that should be involved and that is value. Value is the relative worth of something. If someone wants to print on plastic for a savings of 29.5 cents a sheet, then I guess that they have a damned site sharper pencil then I have or that I want to have.

I figure that I can get a good print in no more then three sheets so that amounts to what? 88.5 cents...hell, I spill more then that.

I have no argument with those who want to cheapen their product and sell it for less, they know what their product is worth.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ilfordrapid
    Smiling... I expected a comment like your's, but oh well.
    Well, it seems you asked the question with your mind made up and expected people to tell you you were right. Sorry if that did not happen.....do whatever you want, after all they are your prints. Me, I rather give people more than what they pay for, even if I have to sell a little bit more expensive.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Me, I rather give people more than what they pay for, even if I have to sell a little bit more expensive.
    I agree as well; I always try to give more than people expect. I value my work enough that I want to present it in the best possible light. To quote Ford "Quality is Job 1".
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [color=black]It seems to me that Mr. ilfordrapid is bating us. The fiber, RC question is not about the archival issue, it is about the aesthetic beauty of the fiber glossy print. RC prints canít touch the beauty of fiber prints in this Iíll never be convinced otherwise. [/color]
    Photography start in our minds.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Donald Miller]You know, I find it really sort of humorous that someone would come to a site, like Apug, and want to ask questions about photography and marketing their work and then totally disregard the input of the majority to the point of contentiousness.

I haven't used that REC stuff for over twenty years, not even for proofing, and I don't really see the point to begin now. So I wasn't really aware of the relative cost difference between REC and fiber. I was surprised when I checked into it because I figured that there would be a really big difference. Taking Oriental fiber and REC (in 100 sheets of 8XI10) the price per sheet is 76.5 cents versus 47 cents for the plastic stuff.

When I checked Forte, the fiber (in the same size and quantity) was 57 cents and the plastic stuff was 43 cents.

I may be wrong but in my fifty years of business experience there is a thing that should be involved and that is value. Value is the relative worth of something. If someone wants to print on plastic for a savings of 29.5 cents a sheet, then I guess that they have a damned site sharper pencil then I have or that I want to have.

I figure that I can get a good print in no more then three sheets so that amounts to what? 88.5 cents...hell, I spill more then that.

I have no argument with those who want to cheapen their product and sell it for less, they know what their product is worth.[/QUOTE

My smile just got a little bigger. Everything has to come down to money doesn't it. If you think I am worried about money, you are sadly mistaken. And if you think that I need this site your wrong agin. I just made the mistake of thinking that there were more open minded people here than there are.
    Seems to me that you are being contentious too. Cheers to you and your pampas friends. I am sure that you are all legends in your own minds. I met some cool people in here to bad there so few.
    I suppose your just not used to people standing up for what they believe. I originally came in here with a good attitude, but ran into a bunch of sour grapes.
    This is not a community of photographers it is a community of narrow minded jack asses.
    A negative, can always be turned into a positive.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    nice talk ilfordwhatever. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

he said,"I suppose your just not used to people standing up for what they believe. I originally came in here with a good attitude, but ran into a bunch of sour grapes.
    This is not a community of photographers it is a community of narrow minded jack asses."

you can use whatever you want you dont need our narrow minded consent!

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is not a community of photographers it is a community of narrow minded jack asses.
    Awwww..poor baby, see what you did Don? You made him cry....LOL......

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    lol

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It all depends on the level of sophistication of your buyer. Experienced collectors want to know if the print is archival, they may ask about the paper, the mat board, whether the print is toned, etc. Less sophisticated buyers just care about the image and may not realize the importance of how the print was made and what it is made of.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ilfordrapid
    Cheers to you and your pampas friends.
    Now that's an interesting one. Anyone here from the plains of Argentina? Is it a bad thing to be from the plains of Argentina?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin