Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,331   Online: 791

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We have real life examples of 100+ year old PT prints. We have real life examples of 90+ year old fiber prints. We have real life examples of 30 year old RC prints.

I use RC paper, but I don't believe it is as good as fibre. I like that it dries fast and flat.

After having seen Jorge's PT prints, Alex H's and M. Smith's azo prints and comparing my own RC to fibre prints, I reach the conclusion that for me fibre looks better.

If Stieglitz's prints had been on 100 year paper, they would be lost by now. Lost forever. While the negatives or plates could be reprinted, we could not know they were the same. While 100 years may seem like a long time, it's not as long as 1000. Maybe its long enough, maybe not. Regardless, my good prints will go on fibre.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ilfordrapid
    I print for the common man because they are the heart and soul of America.
    But I am turned off by the smug self righteousness of most (not all) FB printers, and collectors, and gallerys, who do not take the time to learn the truth about modern RC paper. But I should remind you, that you have also shunned my opinions, and evidence, and not only mine, but other RC printers who have contributed to this thread. As I have said in this thread I don't know why others are having a problem, all I know is my own experience. I have my ideas why some RC goes bad for some, but it would just fall on deaf ears.
    I feel the common man (and I consider myself to be one) deserves a quality product at a reasonable price. A RC print well made, and cared for will last up to and over 100 years. I am sure that will satisfy the expectations of the common man. If you want to print on FB, I think that's great. I have no ill feeling, until that snobbish self righteous attitude shows up.
    It seems to me that you started out asking opinions of your question and yet you seem to be constantly defending your position. Why ask in first place. I only use fiber base. I know what is professional and what is not.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use RC paper myself frequently when I need paper that is quick to use, self-glazing and self-flattening. I also believe that RC permanency is quite good these days, but I wouldn't back it against FB. FB is more expensive, but not to any significant degree, it takes longer to process (particularly washing), but again this is not an issue, it's MUCH easier to retouch and tone, and it's implanted in buyers' minds (rightly or wrongly) as being a superior more permanent product, which for me is reason enough to use FB for prints for sale.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Archival qualities aside, the best prints on fiber-based paper look much better than the best prints on RC paper. However good you are as a printer, your work will look better on fiber than it will on plastic across the board.

A more important point, perhaps, is the pride one takes in one's work. If a photographer is proud of his/her work, and believes in presenting the best craft possible as a means of artistic expression, then that work deserves the best possible presentation -- and that is on quality, fiber-based paper, well-printed, and archivally processed.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    It only got personal when ilfordrapid got personal: not before.
    Cheers, Bob.
    Seems to me Donald Miller threw the first stone. It's true Ilfordrapid was defending his position but it seems I've seen Donald do the same. More than one post here is responsible for rapid fire insults. Fortunately there were some clear heads explaining their ideas well and not taking offense. Anyway, I'm just a newbie trying to learn a little bit in between the personnality landmines.
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan
    Archival qualities aside, the best prints on fiber-based paper look much better than the best prints on RC paper. However good you are as a printer, your work will look better on fiber than it will on plastic across the board.

A more important point, perhaps, is the pride one takes in one's work. If a photographer is proud of his/her work, and believes in presenting the best craft possible as a means of artistic expression, then that work deserves the best possible presentation -- and that is on quality, fiber-based paper, well-printed, and archivally processed.
    Dublin is a long way from Broadstairs in Kent, so we may very well never meet. If we were to do so, I would bet that I could show you some of my prints in glazed frames which you could not say were FB or RC. I am a member of a group of very experienced professionals and exhibit with them regularly - I fool them every time. My choice of RC or FB depends mainly on the factors I described in a previous post - the level of professional pride I invest in my work is constant and not dependent on the base of my printing paper!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Dublin is a long way from Broadstairs in Kent, so we may very well never meet. If we were to do so, I would bet that I could show you some of my prints in glazed frames which you could not say were FB or RC. I am a member of a group of very experienced professionals and exhibit with them regularly - I fool them every time. My choice of RC or FB depends mainly on the factors I described in a previous post - the level of professional pride I invest in my work is constant and not dependent on the base of my printing paper!
    David,

I suppose if you "hide" RC prints behind glass, it might be a bit more difficult, but in the clear, unfiltered light of day the differences are blazingly obvious -- at least if the FB prints are good. Good RC vs. poor FB is no contest; but in good against good, FB will win out hands down every time.

I wish Kent were closer -- I'd bet you a fish and chips I could tell the difference! )
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan
    David,

I suppose if you "hide" RC prints behind glass, it might be a bit more difficult, but in the clear, unfiltered light of day the differences are blazingly obvious -- at least if the FB prints are good. Good RC vs. poor FB is no contest; but in good against good, FB will win out hands down every time.

I wish Kent were closer -- I'd bet you a fish and chips I could tell the difference! )
    I entirely agree - but given today's atmospheric pollution conditions, I'd be wary of giving a guarantee of archival permanence on ANY print (FB or RC silver gelatin, pigment-based inkjet, or anything else) unless it WAS behind glass - I wouldn't say this was hiding it, I'd call it vital protection!

Regards,

David

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin