Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,446   Online: 830

Shooter
    35mm

Giclee printing at home

Hi I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if this has already been covered. Anyway, because I have always hated darkroom work - two hours under a red light, in a confined space, trying to make that perfect print drives me barmy - I recently invested in a top of the range Minolta Dimage neg and slide scanner. Which I have to say I am very impressed with so far. Then of course I discovered that the prints from my high res images started to look, by comparison with the screen image, decidedly under par on my Epson photo printer. However with a bit of web research, I found that one can buy dye based photo inks and archive fibre based paper to run on the Epson (and many other printers). The ones I'm using just now are Lyson Quad Black inks and their pearl paper, for B&W prints; and I am very impressed. They are as near as dammit darkroom quality, what's more they claim the image life has been tested to 70 years. And with all the tweaking done in Photoshop in advance, getting great prints is now a relatively painless process. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has taken this route, and if so what their experiences and tips are. Thanks for your time.

GrahamLG, Nottingham, England

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure a few people here have taken this route, but since this site is devoted to analogue means of printing, it's best to post your question somewhere else. APUG is a site devoted to discussing tradtional means of producing photography, and we would rather it not turn into a digital discussion forum.

Welcome to APUG, you'll get your questions about exposing negatives and printing in the darkroom answered very thoroughly. Enjoy your time here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Watch Out DUCK! Incomming!

Welcome, but if your wanting to talk digital printing methods, there are many places around the internet that are full of great information on Giclee printing. This does not happen to be one of them..

Were pretty much devoted to the analog process of photography and printing, which you are more than welcome to discuss analog photography.

Hope you find some value in this website to enhance your photographic experiance.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Whoops! Am now trying to write with my foot in mouth!! Anyway thanks for putting me straight. Had a quick look at your stuff - very good, very nice.

Graham LG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite allright... we really are very friendly! But, we are vigilant about keeping the digital talk at bay!

Good luck!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin