Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,164   Online: 812

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The idea of the mount for a framed Painting or Photograph having a larger margin at the bottom is very old. The printed word since the days of Caxton follows the same rule.

If you provide equal margins top and bottom the image will always look as if it is below the centre and trying to fall though the bottom of the frame. Try it and see what you think.

This is my first post on this site, I hope this helps.

Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thankyou for that Daniel and welcome to APUG!

I just put a print in a frame centrally mounted and you're right, it felt too 'low'. It looks much better set to the top of the frame.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and to KenS for the PM, I'm deeply indepted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Would you guys also frame a rectangular print in the same fashion? ie slightly off centre towards the top of the frame?
    Yes. This is the way I always frame my prints, since I too print only square.

For some reason, I don't like a square print in a square frame. Just a personal thing.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just started experimenting with square format so it's new to me, but my personal taste is to see the print mounted towards the top of the frame.

Isn't it a matter of not only your taste, but also what suits the particular print best? I feel that way the print is mounted forms part of the image to the viewer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe a little off topic, but where can I buy square format printing paper - preferably Ilford? Is it still available? I am currently using 11x14" to print 10x10". There has to be a better way.

James
    [COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Arial Black]Photography is a reflection of one moment in our lives...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The simple thing is to buy roll paper and cut it to length. I think 10x10 is more common in Europe. Didn't J&C have some ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Square prints always look better to me in a vertical rather than a horizontal frame. Prints should be mounted slightly higher than center to make them look as if they were centered. The eye is easily fooled.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm with everyone else. Square prints in rectangle frames looks gorgeous.

Try this web site for optically centering your print, borrowed from another APUGer. I use it for whatever size print in my standard 50cm x 40cm mat.

www.russellcottrell.com/photo/centering.htm

Works every time and does the maths for you!

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Square Paper

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    Maybe a little off topic, but where can I buy square format printing paper - preferably Ilford? Is it still available? I am currently using 11x14" to print 10x10". There has to be a better way.

James
    I dont believe anyone supplies square paper as a stock item anymore. If my memory serves me correctly the last manufacturer to supply square paper as a stock item was Agfa who sold 10x10 inch paper.

Your best bet to minimise wastage would be to buy a roll of paper say 30 or 40 inches wide. That way you could cut either 15x15 or 20x20 with no wastage.

My maximum print size for competitions (when I print square) is 12x12 because most competitions give a maximum mount size of 20x16.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin