Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,057   Online: 928

View Poll Results: Do spots ruin prints?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • A slight blemish/spot is acceptable

13 18.31%
  • ...is acceptable for private viewing, but not exhibition

25 35.21%
  • ...ruins the print for any purpose

33 46.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lol Poco - OCD here I come!

Ole - I know that seagull.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's so easy to spot a print that I consider spots to be inexcusable. I've even been known to spot RC workprints in workshops - maybe I'm just anal.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    A spot intentionally left on a print by a photographer is like a hair in a bowl of soup intentionnaly left by the cook.... Unacceptable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    A spot intentionally left on a print by a photographer is like a hair in a bowl of soup intentionnaly left by the cook.... Unacceptable.
    What about a fly in the soup? I mean it is extra protein and all.

Mike Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I thought I had a nasty black spot in the sky on one of my prints. Took the negative out, cleaned it, cleaned the carrer, put the negative back in, made another print - damn spot was still there. Looked at it through the grain focusser: It's a seagull....
    Ole, What a good idea, instead of trying to white opaque and then tone or color a black spot in the sky, one could simply give a hint of horizontal line to indicate wings, and be done with it. Won't work for other black spots but I suppose in water, a horizontal line just under the flaw would make it look like a dark fish just about to top. Interesting thinking going on in my head now, I have always tried to fix it to be "right," I've never considered simply being a bit more artistic in my solutions.

Shooter
    35mm
    I look at somebodies print, I like it or I don't, with or without the spots. If the photographer doesn't mind the spot it's his call.
    EVERYTHING is acceptable when it comes to the photographer's decision what to do with his work, it's up to the observers to like the work or not...

Veba

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is like the art school that teaches only the conceptual side of photography. The photographer can travel along with the print & explain away the defects.
    If yo think your work is so good it doesn't need to be spotted, more power to you but don't expect a lot of sales.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Spots are totally unacceptable... That is why it is so important to handle film in the most pristine environment that one can have/afford. Spotting is such a frustrating and arduous task that the best thing is to never get dust and debris on your negatives in the first place. Having said that, dust is inevitable and your prints should be spotted.

One thing that I would recommend is to spend your time printing good negatives and eliminate the practice of "negative scanning" which increases the likelihood that negatives will become dirty or even scratched. Negatives IMHO negatives should be drying, in the glassine or being projected in a clean carrier and no place else.
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When apprenticing under a master photographer more than 50 years ago, the first thing I was taught was that any print regardless of what it was intended for, work print or what ever had to be spotted before it left the finishing room. A spot in a print shouts to me, "whom ever made the print
    was too lazy to deliver his/her very best"! Just my opinion! Charlie......

Anyone can learn to spot a negative or print. The best method bar none to "spot" is to eliminate it in the very beginning! Take the extra time to clean your holders before loading them. This is a source for the black curlys. White curlys only happen on negatives that have not properly been
    cleaned, brushed, blown off before printing, or dust settling on the printing paper before exposure. Most all spots can be eliminated before the final print. Also ground your enlarger.......................

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I thought I had a nasty black spot in the sky on one of my prints. Took the negative out, cleaned it, cleaned the carrer, put the negative back in, made another print - damn spot was still there. Looked at it through the grain focusser: It's a seagull....
    I had one print that had several spots on it, and the negative was clean, they were IN the negative. I was showing the print to a friend, and he asked for the negative, I showed it to him, and he pulls out a jeweler's loupe (the kind you hold WITH your eye socket) and screws on an extra lens to it, looks at the negative for a few moments, and then tells me they're not spots, they're birds! So now whenever I see spots in my skies I just assume they're birds!

-Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin