Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,284   Online: 1135

Thread: Photo-Dandriff

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photo-Dandriff

I'm using a pretty good quality scanner from hp and i'm scanning 4 x 5 black and white's, infrareds and a couple of platinum/palladium. I'm getting some kind of white specs that aren't showing up on the prints themselves...and the scanner is 100% clean. Can anyone tell me how to eliminate this and what it's stemming from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scandruff? Your scanner's sensor may be flakey. ;-)

Seriously, sometimes individual pixels in the sensors die. Or, it might be "noise" introduced by environmental factors. Check where your cables are going, what they are crossing, or are positioned near to, that might be introducing noise in the line.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    If I scan a photo with a pure black background and then lighten it in P$hop, it looks like it was taken during a snow storm. I always just thought it was the price you pay for taking a perfectly good analog print and turning it into a digipic.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the big problems, especially with flatbeds, is even though they look clean, often times minute dust particles will get inside under the scanner bed and rest on the CCT light that actually does the scanning, same thing happens with copy machines, which is one of the reasons why they have to be serviced so often...if you can carefully take the halves of the scanner apart, you might be able to use some air to clean the inside, I would not recommend it unless your real familier with computer periphials.

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin