Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,275   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mounting Prints - starting out

I know I'll probably get varying suggestions, but I'm in a pinch.

I have practiced making prints for a while now, and they're good enough that I'm starting to get happy with them. Now I'm facing a problem, as I want to start displaying the prints, as a matter of fact, I am going to in a couple of weeks.

I understand I need a mat, for which I have a bevel cutter, and a backboard to support it from the back. The rest is a mystery to me, however.
    I could search these forums, but I don't have time. I need help from a kind soul here, who can fill me in on what I need to get started. Time is very short.

What do I need to mount the print to the mat? How do I mount the print to the mat? Do I attach the back board and the mat somehow, or are they just clamped together in the frame?

Very grateful for help,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check out http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_info.html for some good ideas to get you started.
    —Eric

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    and here is something else

http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf410.htm

cutting windows and mounting is not hard,but like everything else it takes practice to get a professional look. Try to find an art supply place where you can buy some cheap boards to practice on; htey don't have to be the correct size, 8x10 will do fine. they should cost about a dollar apiece . start with a small window and keep increasing the size working your way to the outter edge of the board, more practice that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using acid free photo corners, but occasionally get an unpleasant amount of buckle in the print. I think that the key is to have enough overlap so that the print is held down well. If you are doing the 1/4" overlap that standard sized pre cut boards come with (7 1/2 X 9 1/2 inch opening for an 8X10 photo) than you will see some nasty buckling and I don't know of a good way to hold it down other than dry mounting. The photos where I have an inch on each side hold down pretty flat.

I haven't been hinging the top mat to the bottom, but I am going to start doing that. The risk is that you will have some movement in the frame and that will cause your image and over mat to no longer line up.

I have been buying metal Nielsen frame sections from American Frame. I am getting the ones called "Canvas" which are super cheap and hold a very thick collection of stuff if you like to do double over mats or float your over mat or something of the sort. 16X20 sections are $12 and they ship much quicker than Light Impressions. I have not found this particular Nielsen section nearly as cheap, not sure why since their prices on the others are very similar to everyone else's. Oh, and they include the hardware for the price of the sections, Light Impressions charges extra.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    practice is good advice. I don't mind mounting, but I hate cutting boards. I get the boards precut with windows to size and then mount my prints. For double weight paper, you can use corner tabs for mounting (these are triangular acetate stick-ons with a pocket for the corner of the photo. The overmat should cover them.

For single weight, you should get access to a dry mount press. I believe from what I've read that you primarily shoot 35 and MF, so as long as you use double weight paper (fibre or rc) you should be fine with the corner mounting tabs.

Mike Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a dry mount press, or access to one, dry mounting will keep your prints the flattest (see the 1st four pages of this PDF: http://www.hotpress.co.uk/Hints.pdf). Sans a press, you need to get your prints as flat as possible (not a problem if we are talking RC, more trouble if fibre) and use either hinges made from archival tape or pre-made corner mounts as described in the links above.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just saw your gallery and the new shots with the 4x5. They are nice.

Mike Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everybody for your kind help! It is much appreciated. I now know what to do to display my prints.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, you are in a time bind. Avoid that if you can. I cut some of my mats and buy some already cut. I prefer the Bainbridge Archival Museum Quality Mat and generally get them from Iconusa.com if I'm going to buy them. I use self adhesive Linen Hinging Tape made by Lineco. I hinge the top of the mat to the back board and then use a pendant mount for the print. Although I use to dry mount my prints, I doubt I'll ever use that method again. The method I've described is very forgiving and is (in my opinion) a less damaging way of mounting. Should the mat get damaged, the print may be salvaged this way, but couldn't with a dry mount. My 2 cents worth. Bill Barber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin