Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,785   Online: 728

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok Jeanette, I have seen your work in person and I agree whole heartedly that you have plenty to choose from. It is very hard to put yourself out there, it feels very personal but it is so much fun. Go for it and love what you put up. I believe in you.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my advice would be once you have picked the image, print it how you want, then take extra care in the presentation. Maybe check out the lighting conditions at the venue to make sure you print to suit. Make sure it's mounted/matted/framed in the manner you'd expect. If it's framed and there's a spec of dust after closing it up... you open it and get rid of it. Clean the glass. Things like that people viewing it probably won't notice, but you will and you'll worry to boot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Oh Cripes" you really are a Wisconsinite fer da crine out loud! Jeanette, you have loads to choose from. Choose a piece that you love and the world be damned. What do they know anyway. The folks here that know photography are the ones you should trust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wowser! :o Thanks for the votes of confidence. I think I will take the suggestions (well... except, sorry Thomas, I do not think I should steal a photo from the museum... I have plenty to choose from from all the print exchanges here )! hahaha

I think making a few working prints of the size I want is just the ticket!

Since I'm one of the few remaining b&w photoshooters in the club & I get "nonsense" from some of the pros who have gone 'ick-ital' I just am feeling a wee bit of pressure. Sooooo, I guess it's just time to get into the bathroom & start talking to myself in the mirror (thanks, Doc Morten )! "Mirror, mirror on the wall, should I enlarge a waterfall?"
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeanette, I'm facing the same situation you are and am about to hang five photos in a place here in St Paul, and I have the same feelings you do. Gay is on the ball that it is personal, but I believe that as soon as we do it once, the successive displays will be a lot more natural.

You really do have some great photographs to display. Just believe in your own talent. For what it's worth, I would love to see a whole bunch of the images you post in the gallery here, only in person, printed on paper.

I love Thomas recommendation on stealing some photos from the local museum. I used to work at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, and know Christian, Ted, and Caroline in the photo curatorial department a little, and I'm sure they'd let me in so I could steal some of Richard Avedon, Ansel Adams, or perhaps Eugene Atget's work for you... Just let me know...

Have some cheese, brats, and a couple Leinies, and relax. I'm sure it'll be a blast.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Well... somehow, in some weakened moment, I signed up to proivide a print to hang in the public building where one of the camera clubs I belong to meets. Great.... now what do I do???

I am hyperventilating! :o I am not sure I have anything worthy of hanging for the public to see... let alone something that would represent the club. Augh!!
    Pick your worst print and hang it. Everyone will love it.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Since I'm one of the few remaining b&w photoshooters in the club & I get "nonsense" from some of the pros who have gone 'ick-ital' I just am feeling a wee bit of pressure. Sooooo, I guess it's just time to get into the bathroom & start talking to myself in the mirror (thanks, Doc Morten )! "Mirror, mirror on the wall, should I enlarge a waterfall?"
    I am planning to put some pics up in a local cafe' with others from my camera club in February or March. I'm the last film shooter in my club too. I'm sure that whatever you do, it will be great, Jeanette.
    Diane

Halak 41

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have hung work in many places without worring about what others think. Typically if you like it others will as well. Someone may not like it but that certainly doesn't make it bad.

Select something that resonates with you and is important to you and go for it. The others have stated better that I am able to that it is for YOU NOT THEM. Go for it !!!!
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    You have some great stuff in the gallery. The Upper Bonds waterfall is very nice. Don't worry about what others may think, just do your best and have fun printing..

--John
    DITTO!
    You have some great stuff right here. Remember that you have seen your stuff lots of times and it has probably lost some of it's "first impression" appeal. I had great "first impressions" in your gallery. What is old hat to you is awesojme to me and, I'm betting, most of those that view the pic you choose for the display.
    I'd like to tell you to relax but I think a little nervousness tells me there's some "humble" in your art and IMO that's always the greatest art.
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Jeanette,

Wanna blow their socks off? I count six close-ups, or details taken of fast moving water in your personal gallery...why not hang more than one? Diptych? Triptych? Heck, hang all six!!!!

Give your work a chance to speak for you

Murray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin