How to avoid the "Orange Peel" effect?
This dreaded effect doesn't come through very much on any of my fiber based papers, but when I do a hard mount , (as opposed to a hinge mount), of one of my Polyester based papers, I haven't found a substrate/adhesive combo that is perfectly smooth, and doesn't show up on the surface in some manner. Anyone else have this problem, and ever solve it?
I mount my prints on a product called "Gudi Board", which is a self-adhesive foam core. Orange-peel is non-existant.
Many years ago, Ilford Australia had a trade presentation regarding this problem with Cibachrome.
Their presentation, was the first time I had seen foam core used as a photographic base.
Since then, I have used foam core based products on and off with plastic papers and to my knowledge I haven't had a print suffer.
For large prints I used Ademco 19mm thick board, made in the UK, they were the only one I knew of in the eighties. These days there are quite a few suppliers of this kind of product and the web makes finding suppliers easy.
Using thick mount board gave us an idea of making a life size print of a person holding a shining torch. We made the life size print, then cut out the image of the torch beam and replaced it with a backlit Duratrans. The client loved it, the only problem was, it was too expensive to produce for the numbers required by the client.
These are color Ilfochromes, and I'm not using heat, or a press of any kind. I've tried all manners of "tacky board", the 3M roll adhesive that is repositionable onto all sorts of smooth substrates, and Koda cold mounts. All mounts were using very lite pressure, and super smooth cover sheets. Every technique results in some surface orange peel.
I guess poly based papers are meant to be hinge mounted, but that doesn't work for me, as I sell them at outdoor shows, and have seen wrinkling from humidity.
Static mount them on plexi. No orangepeel & they are removable when and if you want to change things.
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
cibachromes are very hard to mount without the problem you describe.
One solution that some try is to face mount to plexi using a high quality adesive.
I am also trying aluminum for this very purpose . no hard data yet.
I print ilfochrome classic and use a cold laminator to mount them.
You can get an extremely smooth mount(of course everything is relative) if you use a sander with 100 grit on gator board, and then use light pressure to apply the adhesive and print to the gator... of course you could also use milled aluminum which is beautiful! or masonite.... I would sand the masonite, and make sure the aluminum doesn't have any sharps spots or burs that would hurt your rollers,if you have a cold lamiator.
Otherwise the hinge mounting is best!