Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,410   Online: 1154

Thread: Mounting Tape

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mounting Tape

Hello,

I am, for the first time, about to mount some prints, and have so far acquired the cutter, mat board, frame assortment (built from parts). Now I need mounting tape, and wasn't sure what to use.
    I have familiarized myself with the technique of anchoring, using four pieces of tape. I will not dry-mount. Seems like too much of a hassle, and questionable permanency (photo archive at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts).

What kind of tape should I use. All mounting tape I've ran across is some double-adhesive type, and that wouldn't work well with anchoring.

Thankful for advice.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lineco Self-adhesive linen tape is widely available in art stores, or Dick Blick on-line. There are other options - some people prefer the gummed version or other manufacturer's products - but this does the job.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    By anchoring, do you mean hanging with T-hinges? Or taping down folded paper corners. For hinging the mats, I like the tyvek self adhesive tape from Light Impressions. To mount the print, I use their self adhesive corners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I mean using t-hinges. I live in an area with insane fluctuations in humidity between summer and winter (85-90% summer, 15-30% winter, I live in Minnesota), so the prints will expand and contract wildly seasonally.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the Lineco tape.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Recommended to me was thin first aid tape as the adhesive doesn't dry out. In Seattle the humidity goes from wet to wetter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin